Sign in to follow this  
Chrome

Lots of Firefly in the media this past week.

I know that most of us who care about it already own Firefly/Serenity on DVD and/or Blueray, but just in case you don't, the Science Channel is going to be re-airing the series next month. Entertainment Weekly had this little mini-interview w/Nathan Fillian about it - http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/17/firefly-returns/

Of course that in turned caused some fans to start a new website asking people to donate money so that Fillian could buy the franchise. :rolleyes:http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/21/help-nathan-fillion-buy-firefly/

It all started on Thurs night tho during NBC's Community, while the characters were talking about death. Troy said that he and Abed had a pact that when one of them dies, the other will make it look like a suicide brought on by the unjust cancellation of Firefly. Then he turns to the camera (Abed is shooting the scene as part of a documentary) and yells "We're gonna get that show back on the air!" :lol:

Then last night on Castle they snuck another Firefly reference in. Castle's mom said she was going to some spa called the Temple of Serenity or something like that. Castle replied that he'd never heard of it and she says back to him "You don't know what The Serenity is?" Hahahaha!

I own it on DVD. But, I will try to watch the Science channel version, for the commentary I understood is supposed to come with it (about the actual science behind stuff).

Now, if only we could get Jericho back.........

I own it on DVD. But, I will try to watch the Science channel version, for the commentary I understood is supposed to come with it (about the actual science behind stuff).

Now, if only we could get Jericho back.........

Maybe mailing them some more nuts.

Are the 6 (I think 6) unaired shows on the DVD?

Yes. And they're all in their intended order, not in the order Fox aired them on TV.

I like the fact that Whedon managed to get the movie made and tie up the loose ends. It's more than the Jericho fans got. But I dunno if they could ever bring back the magic, even if Fillion did get the rights.

Firefly was gold. The dialogue alone was some of the wittiest in television history. And for those of you who don't know, there have been a couple of Firefly comics released recently, which are also great. Ever since the whole Lost/24 vaccuum in television, there have been lots of people talking about Firefly. Would it be nice if it happened? Yes. Will it happen? Probably not. But then again, that's what they said about the movie.

I'm not sure it would have the same "magic" as Dr. Bedlam has said, considering the release of the Serenity revealing River's past, but to me the heart of the show was the setting, the dialogue, and of course the characters. Frankly, the "movie of the week" plots wouldn't be impacted by Serenity, considering their isolated nature. There would still be mystery in the continuous plot (like shepard book's past), and plenty of conflict. I think that it has developed such a huge cult following that it would be successful if rebooted.

I don't really think there's all that much mystery left about Book's past. Its not like he's Wolverine wondering how he got a metal skeleton - he just didn't happen to always be a Shepherd. :poke:

What would kill a future TV series for me would be the absence of Wash. If they tried to replace the character, he'd always just be "the guy filling Wash's spot", but if they didn't try and fill his spot, there's nobody left to do the comic relief.

Edit - seems like Joss has already filled in Shepherd's past anyways - Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale

Found this video discussed at CMON and I thought it was funny, but it does contain a big spoiler if you haven't seen the Firefly movie (Serenity). Enjoy. ::):

I like the fact that Whedon managed to get the movie made and tie up the loose ends. It's more than the Jericho fans got. But I dunno if they could ever bring back the magic, even if Fillion did get the rights.

Yea, no kidding. I feel sorry for the people behind Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles. <spoiler>I mean, they end their series with the main character not even existing anymore! Too bad, I think they were setting themselves up for a decent 3rd season.</spoiler>

Another bad one, My Name Is Earl. Canceled right in the middle of a two part season cliff hanger.

Stargate Universe will probably end up closing unsatisfactory as well. Although, Syfy is pretty good about making crappy made-for-TV movies to tie things up. At least that's something.

I think Networks should give serial programs half a seasons heads up to allow them to *try* to tie up some loose ends.

What would kill a future TV series for me would be the absence of Wash. If they tried to replace the character, he'd always just be "the guy filling Wash's spot", but if they didn't try and fill his spot, there's nobody left to do the comic relief.

I don't know, I got the feeling at the end of the movie that River was going to become the pilot. Watching it the second time, I did not get that feeling, but still.

Although, half the fun of that show was her, and how crazy she was. She had some of the best lines. A sane River would kinda such, I think.

Yes it would TW. Brain scrambled River is the best kind of River.

I don't think this will resurrect. There was a rumor flying around here that Fillion was going to buy the series along with a friend of his and restart Firefly. I googled that and what I found was Fillion saying, "If I won $300 million in the California State Lottery I would buy the series". Alas, does not look like anything will be done to resurrect it. And this is sad because it was a great series and Fox really just effed things up. They didn't give the series a fighting chance. :angry:

The graphic novels at least allow you to get some closure. I really want to get the one about Book now and read through it. I've read through parts of the other ones when I was at the book store. Pretty good.

Still, the lack of this show on air with new episodes makes me sad . . . :down: