A Question of Scale and an Idea for a Possible Mod

thoth19

Hi,

I recently picked up 03264: Roderic Ambermead and Glitter, Halfling on Dragon, and while I was fiddling around at my desk not getting any work done, I popped a different rider on it. The rider is made up of an assortment of Napoleonic parts, including a Hussar's head and legs a Cuirassier's torso and arms. I think its a pairing that has possibilities (what could be more awesome than a Dragon Hussar, I ask you?), but I'm not sure about the scale. Is the rider too big for the dragon? I was wondering if I could get some opinions on it before I painted it.

Here's what it looks like:

post-6878-12984214362763_thumb.jpg

post-6878-12984214552344_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, guys! When I get this painted I'll post the results.

As for the pointed saddle blanket, it took me a while to figure out what you were talking about! I always thought of them as "those saddles what have all those triangly bits on the edge." Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to add one. The space between the wings and the head is quite small, and I've never done anything with modding beyond just gluing different parts on. I've got no experience with actually making parts for my figures, and I think that would probably be way beyond me.

I know what you mean. This dragon is about the same size as horses at this scale, but I'm not sure if I could see it flying with a full-sized person on its back. However, it does have a few things going for it, including the fact that there are straps for a saddle already built into the model. Also, I've become quite attached to the little dragonfly badge on it. It looks like it could be the symbol for a regiment.

I think I'll go for it. At worst, I'll end up with a painted hussar and a painted dragon that look odd together, which can easily be solved by scrounging up a different mount for the hussar and a different rider for the dragon.

Great idea! I agree that he looks a bit big for this pony-sized dragon, but maybe in a world where hussars ride dragons, the dragons are more like wing-assisted leapers and gliders than long-distance flyers anyway.

And I was of the "only glue parts together, can't change or make new parts" school for many years, myself. Often an unexpected juxtaposition of existing parts is all you need to make something new and interesting.

Glad you like the dragonfly badge, too.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Derek

(sculptor of the dragon)

Thanks Derek! It's a very cool dragon.

I've painted it up. It's not the most detailed paint job, but I think it looks pretty cool. It came out very differently than I thought it would. I was planning on a golden dragon, but as I painted it it changed to a more rust-colored orange dragon, which I decided looked cool so I let it be.

post-6878-12988258474839_thumb.jpg

post-6878-12988258608372_thumb.jpg

post-6878-12988258716691_thumb.jpg

post-6878-12988258822885_thumb.jpg

Nice work!

The red pants look very close to the dragon's rusty orange-red; my painterly eyes would want to see more distinction between those two colors, so his legs don't blend into his mount. But maybe they don't look so similar in real life?

Derek

Technically shouldn't he be called a dragoon??? (Ducks... :poke:)

Love the idea! He looks fitting on the dragon. Very reminiscent of the old Flintloque wargame, though I agree with a few of the folks the dragon is a little undersized for the rider.

Take care,

Laszlo

@ Derek: It's more differentiated in real life, but I see what you mean. Do you think that a lighter drybrush on the dragon might help bring them out? I'd like to keep the red pants if possible.

Yes, I think a lighter drybrush would help. And I agree, the red pants are nice. :;):

A little lighter on the underside scales and the neck-bumps/spines would help break up the expanse of orange, too.

If you think about how reflective a real reptile's scales are, compared to cloth, then that should help you figure out how light to take the highlighting on the dragon.

Derek