Sign in to follow this  
psyberwolfe1

Wierdest thing ever

Mods if you move this I understand. So there I was working on 03371: Brock Battlebow and as I was cutting off his broccoli base I heard the tell tale sound of pewter cracking. I thought nothing of it because I was cutting off the base. When I finished I opened up my hobby clamp to find that the figure had cracked and cracked open with about 1/32" gap from the crown of his head along the back of his beard across his elbows to the back of his knees. The crack was almost parallel to the mold plane. I'm not concerned about getting him replaced right now because he's going into my melt bin, but has this happened to any one else? Mind you I'm a 20 year veteran in the hobby and this is the first time this has ever happened to me.

Not going to mod you.

First time I've heard of this. Can you upload a picture? I'm curious.

I've heard the same cracking sound with less damage repositioning Reaper models with just pressure from bending them slightly with my fingers.

Don't get me wrong: I love Reaper's metal mix.

Might be not enough metal where the crack was? I had a similar figure (female elf sorceress in the Warlord line-- name escapes me) & she cracked right at her waist.

(no worries there as for some reason had anther in my stash :unsure:

I had something similar happen to me on a dwarf mini last year - I was removing a dagger blade for a weapon swap, and it was like there was an air bubble or something inside that caused it to crack slightly. Bryan took care of me, though.

I had one of Werner Klocke's wasp waist females kind of separate at the waist on me. She didn't snap like you'd expect thin metal to do, she kind of "popped" like popcorn. It didn't break completely in half so I just filled the gap with putty and moved on.

Not recently, but I have had Reaper miniatures crack like this, too. Looks kind of like when styrofoam breaks - not a clean snap, but like it 'cracked' apart.

Not recently, but I have had Reaper miniatures crack like this, too. Looks kind of like when styrofoam breaks - not a clean snap, but like it 'cracked' apart.

Yup almost exactly like that.

That's it! Reaper is secretly replacing your regular white metal with a styrofoam skeleton and only a thin candy coating of white metal.

Well, that would be a way to save on production costs.

News to me, though. I've had it happen with old lead minis from the ancient days before the oceans swallowed Atlantis, but not with anything made in the last thirty years.

I recall getting this with a 25mm/28mm, but cannot remember the company. I also recall getting this kind of stuff more frequently with 15mm and believe that I spotted release agent within the fracture a few of the times. I also had the popcorn sound... oooh, I remember, the 28mm's were Rackhams!

Anyway... can't wait to see the pictures as this is pretty rare... for me it's like 1 for every 5K 25mm figures and 1 for every 1K 15mm figures... not that I er have that many :ph34r: