03078: Pearl the Mermaid

Krolik1519

Today during lunch I started work on Pearl. I wanted to use a really colorful fish as a reference and I found this Mandarin fish online: lrg-232-pair_of_green_mandarin_fish_in_the_reef.jpg

I never like how my minis are coming out until they have most of their paint on them so weather I end up stripping and trying again is yet to bee seen. Pearl has about an hour of paint on her thus far. I have this problem when I know I am suppose to have the paint nice and thin and use multiple layers to bring out the color but then I get annoyed with how many coats it's taking and then start thickening up the paint. The result of course ends up not having a nice gradient. I need to learn to slow it down. So for now this is some basic idea of where some color is going to go.

pearlwip.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After Lunch Hour 3. I added the blue and turquoise and glued on her other arm. I think I have to lighten her human parts so she doesn't blend so much with her fish parts. Maybe I will do a different skin color all together. Not sure yet.

pearlwip3.jpg

Pearl after 2 more hours on her. I changed her skin tone and outlined the shapes on the tail. I struggled with that arm that came detached. It fell off about 4 times and the shininess near that area is the constant re-super gluing I had to do, it also messed up my paint. The tail piece behind that arm comes separate and actually fits in the hole. I don't see a reason for the arm to come separate at all. Her face is still a bit messy though and I hope I can clean it up. There is also some remnants of the previous orange skin showing through.

pearlWIP3-2.jpg

Pinning might help the arm. The pin gives it a larger surface area to adhere to. I've had the detaching problem too, so usually pin delicate pieces that might see a lot of wear.

She's looking good, I'm very interested to see where you go with this one. Changing the skin tone really helped, she looks more dramatic now.

~M

Pinning might help the arm. The pin gives it a larger surface area to adhere to. I've had the detaching problem too, so usually pin delicate pieces that might see a lot of wear.

She's looking good, I'm very interested to see where you go with this one. Changing the skin tone really helped, she looks more dramatic now.

~M

Good idea, if that arm falls off again I think I will pin it. I don't have pinning tools but my local mini store sells them and has a very knowledgeable staff and clientele of mini painters and wargamers. I have been meaning to get a pinning set anyway even though I have never done it before.

Mine has come in handy for so many things. Because the drill bits are so small, I can even use it to re-drill pearls without damaging them.

I know Gale Force 9 makes a good pin vice, and they also sell brass rods - both available at your FLGS. GW has similar products. (I have both.) I started using paper clips, but they can damage delicate clippers because they are made of hard metal. I'm currently using scrap copper wire from some of my wire jewelry projects. It's been a lifesaver and headache reducer for me. It just drives me freaking nuts when my minis fall apart when I'm painting.

I've also had pretty good luck using JB Weld - the fastest curing variety - on Ebonwrath. She's tumbled off my paint bench so many times, but the JB Weld has held fast. The only part that did break was the tail where I'd just used superglue and didn't pin.

If the glue has gunked up around the join, you might be able to gently file it off without damaging the paint. If not, if it were me, I'd just use some Greenstuff and fashion an armband. You local painting enthusiasts might have better suggestions. That is such a cool paint job thus far, I'd hate to see you strip it and start over.

~M

Painting on Pearl is done, I just started her base. I am using this tutorial to make some coral for it out of super glue. I also plan to add sand.

So this was my first try at pinning and I had a lot of trouble with it. So now her arm is crooked. I will see if I can play with it some more to fix it. I posted a thread in Painting Tips and Advice about it. Maybe I should get some green stuff and make that bracelet of hers bigger to cover up the bad pinning. I think I might go over the black around the turquoise splotches again as well.

pearlwip4.jpg

Nice Work,

I like the inspiration of using a mandarin fish for the colouring. When I look at the figure though I find myself wanting something more from the scales. I think you should brighten them up especially on the higher points like the right hip and "knees" section. I really like what you have done but when I look at the picture of the fish it just seems to have a bit brighter colouration and I want to see that in the mini.

Pinning can be a pain. Model assemble is an artform in and of itself. Good luck in sorting your arm troubles. Looking forward to seeing this in the show off section.

I think the pattern on the scales is coming along really nicely, but Shortbeard makes a good point - I'd like to see some brighter oranges and yellows there too; could be just a photograpahic issue, but they're a little more brownish/dull than the fish pic on my monitor. The blues look great though, IMO.

As for pinning, it's not hard to have the attached part come out crooked if you don't have a lot of practice at it. I had the same problem the first few times I tried it, until I found this method, which comes with a guide for drilling the second hole at the correct angle built right in. Most other methods I've seen will show you where to start the second hole, but not what angle it should be drilled at. Works (almost) every time.

Kang