Amathor, Arch Mage

sgtoku

Hi, I've been on these forums, off and on, for awhile now, and have seen some great works here. I decided to throw my lot in for the first time with this mini here. Lately I've been doing miniatures that have loads of detail :wacko: , so I decided to go with something like this.

This mini marks my first complete year since I started painting miniatures in March of last year. Here I attempted to do browns, and I did much of this mini in Reaper Skintone Triads (the back of the cloak was done completely in the Olive Skintone Triad.) I used Vallejo Model color on some of this, though the parts that came out better to me were painted in reaper paints.

I hope to do better on my next one ^_^ . Advice and comments welcomed!

post-6668-12987587542697_thumb.jpg

post-6668-12987587605841_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought of this mini as a nice representation of Radagast the Brown. Is that maybe why you chose browns for his robe?

Very nice job. The soft browns are especially nice. The face of the wiz and the owl are both great.

If you are interested in some feedback, I'd suggest that you go a little darker with the shading, and you probably want to shade the sleeve under the owl a little more too. I personally love Brown Liner; a little Brown Liner shows up on pretty much every mini I paint nowadays.

This mini has a special place in my heart too, as it was in the Learn to Paint kit that was my first order from Reaper when I first started painting too (maybe 7 years ago now). It was the second or third mini I painted. Yours is way way better than mine was. ::):

Mclimbin: It wasn't meant to be based off Radagast the Brown, but now that you mention it the resemblance, and the colors, are uncanny to it. And thanks for the suggestion! I can see that the under sleeve could use some darkening. Good thing I have brown liner. I think that's a great idea to make a heavy glaze with and shade areas for transition, I'll have to try that next time.

Mercius: Congrats! Looked at your coolminiornot page. For a year your mini's are very impressive.

All the kind and helpful comments are much appreciated. Back to painting!

Nice work. I especially like the way you've incorporated the base (good use of cork). And your composition is very impressive, especially since you've kept to almost all browns.

If you would like some criticism, I have to start getting super picky (and that's saying a lot since you're only a year out). For example, I think you could have done something to disguise the two lower pieces of corkboard (there's a subtle seam between them).