Sign in to follow this  
Beowulfthehunter

Question for you RPG players out there: AOE Etiquette

is she a newbie player? If so you should try & show her "the ropes" of spell-casting so to speak. We had a magic-user in a old D&D game drop a sleep spell on the party while facing a bunch of kobolds cause he felt like it at the time. We were able to escape but he left him tied up & his reaction was "Hey what's up guys!?!"

Wow, RPG really has changed since my days. Unless her character was evil or at least morally amibigous (sp?) she shouldn't be proposely endangering her party members. It sounds to me your group uses too much metagaming.

Thanks for the imput guys. The player in question is in her 30's and only plays with her husband. She is quite disruptive and imature. For example, she tells how she kept pestering her husband for a Rancour in their Starwars game until she got one. She complains when she takes damage. She misses many games as she is "sick" and during one of them her character got the Macguffin, who we need to advance the plat. She refused ot give it up to advance the plot.In one game she plays an elf from the north pole and likes disrupting the game with just crazy actions. The thing is I do not want to have to respond to her in game like that as I can see it leading to disruption of the game. I hope last night was a one time thing, but I made it pretty clear that I was not going ot put up with it.

Sounds like the reasons I got out of roleplaying. I no longer have the patience or the interest, and felt my distraction was getting in the way of the rest of the group.

You've got to know when to bow out gracefully. It sounds like she isn't as driven or as serious as the group, and maybe it's time for a mature conversation within the party.

Sounds like she's the DM's wife, yes? If so, and if he's not the type to tell his wife when she's out of line, which it sounds like, then you are screwed. You'll have no DM support in this and it will likely end bad for your friendship with the DM. You make a move against her, and he'll have to choose between making her happy or making you happy. He doesn't need you to be happy to go to bed at night.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

DM's wife, gf, so, or something?

You have no hope.

Personally, I am a perverse sort of a b*stard and I would advise the following: charge, get surrounded, cop the AOE and grin. It sounds like fun to me. Go aggressive, roll with it, and forget the offense on her part.

Really, she's being a bit bratty, but so what? If you want to play, roll with it, incorporate it into your challenge for the evening. Better yet, see if you can get her to flip on the issue: routinely set yourself up for the AOE. Once she sees you're counting on it, will she stop? If she complains that you're getting in the way, drop back and be her super-best-friend and loyal bodyguard, and insist on roleplaying the heck out of it. The key here is not to set yourself against her. That would be bad. Instead, treat her intransigence as an element in play. Of course if she's being an outright rude obnoxious cow, it might be time for you to leave the group.

Also, the GM and the group are all responsible for each other's entertainment. I cannot see why the group would give up their fun just because the MacGuffin isn't "really" there. At the very least an entertaining side-quest would be in order.

In 3.0/3.5/pathfinder AND in 4e, there is a feat that spellcasters can take - Shape spell. it allows the spellcaster to define a 5' square (1 inch tile, whatever) that the spell doesn't hit.

Convince your GM to give the player a magic item, for example, magic gloves, that have +1 to hit, and confer the Shape spell feat.

From that point forward, if she hits you with the AOE it was on purpose.

Wow what a peach of player. I almost always play the party tank so I’ve had plenty of “danger close” AOE’s dropped on my head. Every time it happened, it happened with my explicit permission, or I asked for it. So to answer your question, yes it is extremely rude. There is no reason for her not to hurt you because of the grid shaped effect she should be able to cookie cutter your position out.

The advice of coming to blows in character is not worth it. Characters that come to blows will kill campaigns and play groups. Chances are friendships will be damaged, and if this player’s spouse is the GM you’ll be out so fast it won’t be funny.

The best way to handle this is through role playing. Start by always being behind the caster in the marching order. Then any time you’re around said energy type act terrified of it, e.g. if it is fire energy every campfire and torch you stay as far from it as possible because your suffering from PTSD. In combats always stay right next to this character, and when the others question what you’re doing say, in character, “Every time we fight she shoots me in the back!” If she is able to drop an AOE on you run from the combat because it scares you. Ham it up. At least have fun with this.

One of three things is going to happen. The group will ask you to leave the campaign, they will ask her to leave, or they will help her correct her behavior. I’m willing to bet the latter will happen before the other two. With all of these possibilities your difficulty will be solved. If you let the other players/GM besides her know about this plan you may get their buy in and then it will go from being a miserable situation to some of your best role playing experiences ever.

Roleplay it. Explain to the DM that this is what your character would do, it's not personal. If worse comes to worse find another group or be the GM. From experience I've dropped quite a few wizards that were a bit too clumsy with their spell placement.

Heh, we had a game just recently where the party was defending their ship from pirates. The wizard pretty much held back until the pirates pulled up and were swinging over then he lobbed the fireballs, catching OUR ship on fire. A simple hold off the pirates became a attack the pirates ship and take it to avoid drowning. Three party members ended up getting hurt pretty badly, the Cleric died, no way of resurrecting him.

We left the wizard on the burning ship. We were merely trying to avoid the pirate ship from catching on fire. It was purely "accidental" that we forgot to get the wizard off.

I typically play 'Tanks' or 'Scouts' so I'm out front taking the first line of defence. If the artillery can't wait till I need the help and just wants to cut in on the action with indiscriminate Fireballs then, assuming I survive the combat, they are going to get a slap. If the party wizard has a higher initiative and calls everyone to wait while he drops fire on them that's okay. So initiative order could be one of the problems.

If were talking about a disruptive player then you have really only got three options - educate them, boot them or find another group.