Blight Fang Dragon

MamaGeek

Looks NIIIIIIIIIICE! I vote for the yellow eyes, because they'd "pop" more against the dark background and also look more sinister. Excellent job, your friend is really lucky to know you. Seriously. I'd be so thrilled if one of my pals did something like this for me.

On a note about grass and basing materials, I've been collecting some of the wild grass seed heads, drying them, and then using the "birch seed maple leaves" technique to stain them with paint. They look like little shrubs or grass bunches, and can be colored differently to match a scheme. I used them on my dire wolves. (http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/42139-dire-wolf-pack/)

~M

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you trying to be be subtle with the eyes? I only ask because on my monitor they look gray with a touch of yellow at the bottoms to hint that they are yellow. I just think you should make them scream yellow because it will draw the attention to face. Currently the head is getting lost in the rest of the body. Now that I look at it more maybe brightening up the teeth and facial horns will help too.

I agree with Psyber -- the head's getting a bit lost. I don't know that exaggerating the eyes is the best way to compensate, though: bringing up the highlights on the head in general seems like a better way forward to me.

Maybe it's the lighting, but I'm also concerned that you've painted a beautiful dark blue dragon rather than a black one. This stands out most to me in the second pic you posted, so if you fiddled with the colour balance for that one it's likely an artifact of photo editing rather than the actual paint. My issue isn't the brightness or even the blue-ness of the highlights, but the fact that they cover so much of each scale.

I personally like the blue color choice. Maybe it's me and the fact that I pulled another all nighter with bright paint, but I'm getting a "dark of the night" vibe from it. I love the base tho, it was really nice to begin with, and I can't wait to see the finished design.

The one thing that jumps at me is the horns above the eyes. I think they should match the rest of the facial spikes/horns. That's just my sense of cohesion, and they seem a bit odd/out of place being blue while the rest are a bone color.

Anyway, I'm going to be darn lucky if any of my dragons ever come out this good!

~M

Hmmm...good feedback. I'll look the dragon over again with all those things in mind. There's no varnish on the figure yet, so I can still work on it.

Sunday was a total loss to an all-day Migraine. I may work on it tonight. I have to admit that I'm looking forward to starting something new, though. :)