Anirion WIP

Hello,

Well I want to improve my paint-fu. So I have decided to do a pay it forward model. By that I mean I am going to send a model to a friend who has no idea he will be receiving it and I want to push myself to do the best job I can. So all help, C&C and advice are welcome. I apologize for my poor photo fu in advance.

I started by brushing on Reaper brush on primer from the MSP line of paints followed by a liberal use of diluted brown wash ended with a drybrush of reaper brush on primer.

post-6478-12992235844565_thumb.jpg post-6478-12992236506448_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping I can use these images as a reference to placing my highlights.

Next step was the flesh. I started with Golden Shadow and built my way up through the triad using half and half mixes between the triad colours ending with a half linen white half golden highlight mix. I'm after a pale skinned elf. The lips are Golden highlight mixed with a very small amount of Saffron Sunset.

post-6478-12992239031143_thumb.jpg

The stage I am currently on is placing a base coat of Shadow Green on the robes. I'm thinking of adding shadow through the use of a purple ink or liner wash. Any tips thoughts or critics welcome as I really want to produce a mini of my highest quality. Which by no means will match many on this site but I figure practice is the only way I will ever improve.

post-6478-12992241076959_thumb.jpg post-6478-12992241417888_thumb.jpg post-6478-12992241782304_thumb.jpg

I thank all who are willing to give constructive feedback in advance and I encourage everyone to do a pay it forwad mini cause wouldn't it be fun to open something besides a bill in the mail.

Shortbeard

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your idea of purple wash for shading the green. If you feel like it, you could work through the blue side of the spectrum: green -> green/blue -> blue -> blue/purple -> purple, maybe even into a very dark red for the depths of the shadows.

What do you have planned for the trim on the robe?

What do you have planned for the trim on the robe?

I was thinking of using the Amethyst Purple, Imperial Purple, Nightshade purple triad on the trim. Thought that would look good if I decided to be real brave and try some silver freehand but that may be pushing me way past my current ability. Was also thinking of trying a strawberry Blond hair colour but don't have any idea on how to pull that off.

I can't see the face at all, really, under that hood, but the skin tones on the hands look great.

For the green cloak, I suggest highlighting first with your green mixed with a tiny bit of white and a tiny bit of yellow. Then shading with purple, definitely, but very thin, and keep your green on hand to blend it in.

So got some work done.

Followed Mamageeks advice and shaded up through the green triad before adding the purple ink in the shadows.

post-6478-1299568489071_thumb.jpg post-6478-12995685177625_thumb.jpg

Then I added the purple wash in the areas I thought needed a boost. Now I know I went a bit overboard and trying to blend while the ink was wet didn't work terribly well so just let it dry.

post-6478-12995686543723_thumb.jpg post-6478-12995686953392_thumb.jpg

After all that I went back to clean up my mistakes and try to blend the highlights a little better. I have never tried this painting technique before and think I have some successes and some failures. I definitely need to be more patient on the blends and can't decide if I need to dilute the paint a bit more or just use better brush control, Probably a little of both. I mixed some Sunlight yellow into the final highlight of Mist Green. I like the way it is shaping up. Also just put the basecoat on the purple hem. Hope after highlighting it looks better cause right now I'm only eh, Looked better in my head.

post-6478-12995690673658_thumb.jpg post-6478-12995691013671_thumb.jpg post-6478-12995691403828_thumb.jpg

And for MamaGeek here is the best close-up I can get of the face with my photo-fu. I have to say with that cowl/hood painting in there was a ..... bad words inserted here.

post-6478-12995692634982_thumb.jpg

So things I'm proud of are sections at the bottom of the robes I think my blends are the smoothest there. This is definitely turning out to be the best mini I've painted to date as sad as that is. Things I have concerns with are the shoulders and hood. Just seems the progressions of shades are to stark and the highlighting is a bit off but I can't put my finger on it so a little help is appreciated. Still waiting to see how the purple turns out I may have to rethink that colour choice please let me know what you all think. Thanks to all who've comment and all those who will.

Shortbeard

Looks like your highlights are getting a bit chalky, especially on the hood. A light glaze of your basecoat green should help even those out and smooth out the blends. Other than the chalkiness, I like the look of the cloak, and the purple shadows are working nicely.

I'm a big fan of thinned paints, but one thing to watch out for is loading your brush too heavily with paint. If you do that with a thin mix, it'll want to gush right out of the bristles and pool everywhere you don't want it on the model. If you don't have a second (dry) brush handy to mop it up, it's tidemarks everywhere and a whole lot of cursing. The key is to take only a little paint, then dab some of it off onto a damp paper towel. I find that this kind of painting is incredibly forgiving of little mistakes, and doesn't take a heck of a lot longer than using thicker paint -- you're spending less time waiting for layers to dry, because your layers are so thin.

Thanks for the input Ferox.

Question: Could I be over thinning the paint and thats what's causing the chalky highlights?

As for the glaze I thought of that but am a little reluctant as the only two times I have tried a glaze I basically rebase coated the model in question and the second attempt at a glaze turned out very shiney. If you have any insights into a good glaze technique Im all ears(eyes as it is a written medium).

Thanks

Question: Could I be over thinning the paint and thats what's causing the chalky highlights?

Could be, yeah. I ended up with some pretty chalky highlights on Argonnite's cloak, and that dates back to when I first started really thinning my paints. My understanding is that it has a lot to do with how the pigment in the paint behaves (although I don't understand much more than that). Thinning with some flow improver and/or matte medium instead of pure water seems to help, as does wiping excess paint off onto a damp paper towel -- a dry towel will pull off too much medium and leave clumps of pigment behind.

As for the glaze I thought of that but am a little reluctant as the only two times I have tryed a glaze I basically rebase coated the model in question and the second attempt at a glaze turned out very shiney. If you have any insights into a good glaze technique Im all ears (eyes as it is a written medium).

Glazes should be very thin, as you want most of the underlying paint to show through. More opaque pigments need more thinning, and in general it's better to thin too much than too little. I'd suggest starting with a small part of the model, maybe the back of the cloak at the shoulders, and glazing over the lowest highlights to see what happens. The idea isn't to flood the whole model, but to tint a specific area with a controlled application of very thin paint.

As for thinning and consistency, here are a few links to help you out:

Blending through translucency

How to blend by olliekickflip (I link this so often I should just stick it in my signature)

Working with glazes

Good luck!

Good start. I would go back and redo the face. The highlights are in the wrong places. The natural highlights in your very first photo would be a good guide as to where the brightest highlights should be. The place where I think the highlights are too bright are on the forehead and right cheek. I'm also not a fan of the saffron lips. As I said good start. I look forward to seeing the completed figure.

Hello Folks got a little work done.

So I started with a glaze of the reapers Field green. It knocked all the highlights down but didn't seen to smooth the blends enough so I mixed a tiny amount of Mist green into the glaze and applied it twice. The photo shows the result. I think it helped. Let me know. I also worked through the Purples. Took my time and built up through 9 shades of purple. At the end I was not sure I was actually accomplishing any discernable colour shift. Used a glaze of Imperial purple to try and smooth the blends. Am much happier with the purple colour now and the mood of the model as a whole.

post-6478-12999978957654_thumb.jpg post-6478-12999979359449_thumb.jpg post-6478-12999979563922_thumb.jpg post-6478-12999979777205_thumb.jpg

So I then did the pouch on his waste to look like leather. Used reapers tanned leather triad. Then washed the pouch with flesh wash to try and smooth the transitions with the hope the wash would add a very tiny sheen to the area, Also based the staff in Muddy Brown. As the sculpt itself has no wood grain on the staff I am at a loss as to the next step. Not sure how to highlight it or even if it is necessary.

post-6478-12999980016802_thumb.jpg post-6478-12999980339775_thumb.jpg post-6478-12999980933392_thumb.jpg

So this last pic is without blowing up the model too much to hopefully give a better sense of how it looks in real life.

post-6478-12999981453641_thumb.jpg

Have some questions I could use everyone’s help with, aside from what to do about the wood of the staff. Should the metal pieces on the staff be gold or silver if I want to do the gems at the top of the staff red? The very top of the staff should I make it to look like weathered stone or a blue crystal? I think it could be done either way from how the sculpt looks. And the last thing is I have learned a great deal already from being a bit more patient and pushing myself so the skin looks a little heavy handed, highlights a little off and such. From what you guys see do you think it is worth my redoing the face and hands?

Thanks again

Shortbeard

Damaged Mini.

My daughter who is 16 months old felt poor Anirion needed his face rearanged. She smashed his head into the workbench before she could be stopped. His cowl is now squashed right against his face and I can't see a way to fix it without damaging the sculpt of the face. The paintjob survived mostly intact actually just a small crack all the way to the back of his head.

Asumming I can fix the sculpt is there a way to fix the paint job? How much damage is too severe before I have to strip and start over?

The joy of being a parent.

Ouch! Stripping the model is an option. The other is to get super fine grit sand paper lightly sand the edges of the damaged paint area, reapply primer and then pain over the entire cowl. You just learned lesson one in kids and figures. Secure the painting area. My two year old loves daddy's mans but he is also reminded to not touch them. It will take time just keep the important stuff out. Let them play with you prepainted stuff from WOTC.

So after attempting to just scrape the paint of the hood to fix the damage I realized it was a lost cause. Even with a scalpel the paint just kept peeling farther and farther down the model.

So Anirion is having a bath in a jar of Windsor and Newton Brush cleaner. Waiting to see how well it strips a mini. Anirion is going to need to be started from Scratch. This is a little disappointing.

Definitely a hit to the ol motivation. Was really excited in how this was progressing. It was turning out to be the best mini I have ever painted.

But tomorrow is another day.

Oh Ferox those links were great and I did put the one in my signature I believe anyone wanting to improve needs to read it.

So Anirion is having a bath in a jar of Windsor and Newton Brush cleaner. Waiting to see how well it strips a mini. Anirion is going to need to be started from Scratch. This is a little disappointing.

[...]

It was turning out to be the best mini I have ever painted.

That's not an accident. You started painting Anirion in order to improve, and it's obvious from the progression of photos you posted that you did. When you start over again, you'll be starting with better skills than you had two weeks ago, and will probably do better still.

Mini painting is repetitive enough at the brush-stroke level that you don't end up with even basecoats or smooth blends across a whole mini by fluke. (Colour selections, maybe, but that can be trained as well.) Now that you know how to paint to that standard of quality, with those paints, you'll be able to do it a second time -- probably better.