Reaper / GW comparison?

Alex3

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anyone who uses GW miniatures for roleplaying games.

You do now. My Orcs and goblins are perfect as bad guys and I've used the character models a few times.

But do you use minis you already own or do you ever buy them solely to use in an RPG? I couldn't imagine spending 20-or-so bucks on a character miniature just to use as a PC unless I played the army already.

I've bought GW and Reaper stuff for years and I don't see much difference in quality between them. Both companies produce the same amount of figures with flaws that need fixing, both produce the same amount of odd sculps every now and then.

Reaper makes a better selection of individual figures suitable for roleplaying - some truly astounding sculpts, and GW make excellent figures for Wargamming.

Reaper figures are cheaper to buy - even here in the UK - and this is where Reaper wins for me. Reaper figures seem to be priced on weight of metal used and the associated production cost, whereas GW would price a figure you wont need too many of in your army at a high price despite it's size. I don't like that approach - I like Reapers more honest pricing.

Also, how can a plastic figure cost more to produce than a metal one? Some GW plastics are way over priced.

In general I find that I've moved towards using the models I have with the system I want to play, rather than be restricted by what the stuff was originally designed for...GW introduced me to the hobby (for which I am thankful)...Your friends bring whatever models are in their collection and you bring what's in your collection. You play games, have fun and go home. That's what it's all about.

I will totally second this notion. My friends and I do this weekly. We freely mix models from who knows how many different mini companies to play our games. Sometimes we're playing Warlord, and one army could have 5 mini companies representin'. ^_^ No big deal from our end.

I will talk about Warlord vs Warhammer Fantasy (the closest GW game). I played Fantasy for almost 10 years before getting tired of the constant rule changes and "upgrades" to the models. I stopped mini gaming for a few years before I moved to Tulsa. My buddy Warwick hooked me on Warlord and I've been playing ever since.

But, I digress...

A typical Warlord game will involve somewhere between 20-30 models per side. That is a small battle when you compare it to Warhammer Fantasy’s 20 models per unit, when you are fielding approximately 5 units in a typical army. If you are looking for a highly regimented Napoleanic-esque game, then Warlord is not for you and Warhammer Fantasy is your game. If you are looking for quick exciting battles, then Warlord is the game for you.

Heck, I see no reason why someone couldn't write a scenario that uses both rulesets. Maybe the scenario part 1 says you send out your skirmish force to see what is up ahead (Warlord rules). Once you "locate" the enemy, the scenario part 2 kicks in and the Fantasy battle starts with your Napoleanic style forces. I don't see why something like that couldn't work. You get the best of both worlds that way. ::):

Wild Bill :blues:

As both an avid wargamer and an avid roleplayer, I've seen my fiar share of pewter and plastic make its way accross my gaming table. Mostly dwarves, mind you, but still, I think I know my way around a paint brush. From my personal experience, I would say that usually Reaper figures are of superior quality (ESPECIALLY with the dwarves). Some of the older dwarf sculpts are awful, and the current Hammerer sculpt has been around for about fifteen years, and it looks awful.

But the difference in quality is easy to attribute to convenience. With plastic GW figures, you get 16 per box (with dwarves anyway). The sculpts aren't half-bad, either. Perfect for rank-and-file infantry in my opinion. And some of the new plastic sets they are coming out with? Amazing. Particularly with the new High Elf and Skaven releases (island of blood), the quality of sculpts takes plastics to levels I didn't think was possible. Now if only they'd get some of this stuff for the dwarves!

I have found that when it comes to metal, Reaper will almost always win out. It's cheaper and of superior quality. But sometimes, Reaper doesn't have a figure that works as a GW figure counterpart. And in a few tournaments they don't allow anything but GW figures.

In conclusion, GW figures are usually the best for their job: filling out large blocks of infantry. Reaper is better for solo-models (fielding an entire army of Reaper dwarves would be nice, though). Reaper miniatures are even cheaper than GW metal figures, almost by half. I currently incorporate reaper figures into my army as hero characters.

Now if only GW actually gave a damn about their customers...

But do you use minis you already own or do you ever buy them solely to use in an RPG? I couldn't imagine spending 20-or-so bucks on a character miniature just to use as a PC unless I played the army already.

Initially that is why I bought the Orcs and Goblins. It gave me tons of cheap baddies to throw at my players.

I will talk about Warlord vs Warhammer Fantasy (the closest GW game). I played Fantasy for almost 10 years before getting tired of the constant rule changes and "upgrades" to the models. I stopped mini gaming for a few years before I moved to Tulsa. My buddy Warwick hooked me on Warlord and I've been playing ever since.

But, I digress...

A typical Warlord game will involve somewhere between 20-30 models per side. That is a small battle when you compare it to Warhammer Fantasys 20 models per unit, when you are fielding approximately 5 units in a typical army. If you are looking for a highly regimented Napoleanic-esque game, then Warlord is not for you and Warhammer Fantasy is your game. If you are looking for quick exciting battles, then Warlord is the game for you.

You probably haven't checked out the abomination that is 8th Ed WHF... 20-model units are more or less MINIMUM at this point with the focus on epic combats.

Game design issues aside, I'd say GW is a pretty mixed bag. My Dark Elf infantry are all-around cool-to-awesome (I especially love Black Guard and Witch Elves), but the War Hydra (current and previous) are just horrible. Also, the "classic" Dark Elf range is pretty horrible. The Black Guard and Executioners are almost indistinguishable, and the less said about the "classic" Reaper Bolt Thrower the better. But that's really a microcosm look at GW minis as a whole. For every Carnifex kit, you get the worst minotaurs in the history of tabletop minotaurs. Really, look them up for yourself if you don't believe me. Oh, and the Arachnorok (?) from the recently released Orcs & Goblins release... its the Greenskin version of the new and "improved" Stegadon. Meanwhile. 40k gets all the goodies (surprise surprise!)/

I'm of a mixed opinion about all the computer-drafted stuff. One the one hand, a lot of it is gorgeous (the aforementioned Carnifex kit, the currentCold Ones for DarkElves, the improved Eldar vehicles), but some of it is just booty (the aforementioned Minos and Arachnorok, as well as much of the Daemonic infantry.) Some of this just may be personal taste, which the hole subject essentially boils down to, but I'd say Reaper is a bit more consistent. With GW, it's a whole treasure chest of issues, with Reaper, it tends to be nitpicky stuff, like a model's head being oversized for the body, or maybe a goofy weapon or shield. I think it's an industry-wide problem, because I pretty much feel the same way about Privateer Press and Wyrd minis as well. For every Carnivean, there are Blighted Nyss elvesat their sides.

"You probably haven't checked out the abomination that is 8th Ed WHF... 20-model units are more or less MINIMUM at this point with the focus on epic combats"

I fail to understand why THAT makes the new edition of WHFB an "abomination". It is after all a game that features the clash of ARMIES...not little skirmishes.

I played each and every edition up to and including 5th. If someone has no desire to collect and paint 20+ mini's for a unit then one doesn't have to play that game with

so many others out there that are based on small unit skirmish. Ask any orc and goblin player if they chose the army based on small unit sizes..LOL

I have played wfb for a little bit. I haven't played 8th ed, because 75 for a rule book is a bit over my price range. I don_ care how nice it is. Its getting redickuless. Because what in 6 or 7 years they'll release a new that cost more. Besides if I want to play large armies that they are wanting you to collect. I'll play Warmaster, which I perfer anyways. I got into wfb nbecause of a leage 2 hours away from me. I thought I'd be able to keep going and not very many people play much else that I play. GW has some nice minis and Reaper has some nice minis. The complaints I have are I wish reaper would a better job on their games. Ei promoting and such. I think they are great games which deserve to be known. I wish GW would pull their heads out of their bottoms and figure out that some people like their SG range better, than 40k or wfb and SUPORRT them more. Ei more and new minis if its too damn much then give the minis to forgeworld and cut the cost a bit. I th ink forge world would do the minis great,but as I don't order stuff from oversea, I don't own any forgeworld stuff, but I do drool over them. Anyways. Enuff of my ranting. And enuff wishing cause GW and reaper aren't going to listen to me, reaper might, but GW could care a fly f less what I think. They only seem to care about the profit margin. I understand the needing a profit, but crap they've ran more gamers away from their games then I would care to guess. Well I'm out.

@Kane Strictly speaking eighth edition is their best iteration of these rules to date. As long as you house rule the ten stupid things in the game out. As I said earlier if you played Warlord on the same scale it would cost the same. Honestly GW is competitively priced. The difference is scale. GW requires more stuff and therefore is more expensive. Warmachine is far more expensive per model but you need less of them so that game comes in at under $300 for a respectable force. If you played Warlord with GW figures you would come in cheaper than Reaper, and an all Reaper Warlord army will cost you a whopping $20 for a good sized force with plenty of choices.

As to the ugly model issue: yes the minitaurs are the ugliest models they make. The new giant spider is a pretty cool model. The thing to note is every figure companies make some ugly figures and beautiful figures. It is about what you like. No one company has a corner on the aesthetic market.

Finally yes Reaper does have a.mild support issue with their games. That is because they are a miniature producer who has a single game designer and luckily a great community of volunteers. Until they get a few more game designers and a marketing department their games will always be second fiddle. Now the wmazing thing is Warlord is such an amazing game that was made on a shoestring budget. There are some things in the works to help Reaper out wih getting their game out there. Look at Reaper TV on YouTube.

GW mini's got me started in this hobby but I wouldn't by one now unless it was something extra special. I'm in the process of swapping out all the plastics that came with my Descent game and using Reaper mini's for most of them (A few mantic ones here and there). I don't think GW have had an original idea for about 5 years. So yes I think nearly all the reaper mini's are better than GW ones. I just wish they were easier to get hold of here in the UK.

One, Reaper has been my fave for many years now, so yes on the whole I find Reaper miniatures far superior overall.

Two, GW does have the support it does because one can always find someone willing to play their games, I can't see why with the rules set...but whatever.

Three, When it comes down to it, we are comparing a Gaming Company like GW to a HObby Centric Quality company like Reaper. On that note, how can we see a true comparison? I am a father (soon to be of 2), a husband, a more than full time employee and I run my own business making terrain, bases and game aids on the side. I love the Hobby aspect of Miniatures, and storylines than I do the game aspect simply as a time factor, so I want quality (and CAV ;}) So Reaper is my drug and I push it like a dealer.

Four, Reaper truly CARES about its consumers! Everyday they have staff on here posting, updates, great new product...what does GW do? Pull down their forums. When I went to Kit about support for our local Convention last month, he hooked us up amazingly well, and I had a Reaper Paint and take table with people painting for over 4 hours and loving it! 5 of those people had never painted a miniature in their lives and couldn;t get enough! You know what I got from GW? "We no longer support non-sanctioned gameplay." That's it. So, from a biased perspective based on my current and future preferences...yeah, REAPER KILLS the competition, but that's just my 2 cents.

Initially that is why I bought the Orcs and Goblins. It gave me tons of cheap baddies to throw at my players.

Just to throw another one in the ring: I purposely purchase new GW minis for my RPG games - for PC, NPC, and critters. Course, I run games of Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and DeathWatch.

I look to the market for what I need, no matter the manufacturer (well, within reason).

I agree with all that have stated it's a matter of taste, though I also agree with the general unhappiness with GWs pricing. I don't believe a major figure should cost $22.00 (for a single, humanoid model - not much bigger than a troop model) just because it's important in the game.

And I also have to shout out for Reaper cuz, even though I shop around, I love what I find at Reaper, and I love how they treat their customers (quite frankly I am amazed a modern company holds such values). Quite simply I feel there is no better miniatures/hobby company on the globe.