Lessons from the paint bench

I thought I'd open a "random thoughts and lessons" thread for all of us to dump all those little ideas, anecdotes, and tips that just don't merit their own thread but still deserve to be shared.

So, whatever you have, whatever has come to you during those hours at the paint bench -- thoughts, ideas, daydreams, jokes, gold nuggets of wisdom -- dump them in here. So long as they have to do with the "painting life", they belong here. With any luck, we'll have a long list of smiles to look back on.

Here's my opener...

Do not attempt to paint details like eyebrows, eyes, teeth, etc. while stand-up comedy is playing in the background on Comedy Central... Particularly the stand-up of Nick Swardson.... Damn him!!  Laughter is not conducive to Zen-Breathing while painting.

Oh, and.... Cut A-W-A-Y from yourself!!   :)

Have at it, gang!!  :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MMM... if you are going to be moving you mini's right after priming, ensure they are

A) either stuck to the board  or

B) so stable a hurrican couldn't knock them over....

Invariable, one or two always tumble off the board I use...  :glare:

I thought the Reaper folks were asking for tips on painting to be posted.

Well I just remembered one I forgot to mention:

Before cutting pewter/plasic/wood, always tape down the material onto your tabletop.  And place the tape were you would be cutting so when you cut over it, the other piece doesn't go flying into the other side of the room, never to be seen again.

*Glares at kkoene's work area*

Hope.  Never see it again.  Even AFTER the clean up.

:;):

Matte sealer. Do not use a can to the last ounce on minis. Use it from new to about half the can spent, and the rest save it for terrain pieces. The reason for this is that the sealer, especially the matte, starts acting funny when the can pressure is below half a can. Usually it'd come out glossier, or with too much particles, especially if you don't use to shake the can until your elbows hurt.

And whatever you do, don't drink the water.

:glare:

And to put a further fence around the Sabbath, if you'll pardon the expression:

Don't put your drink in a similar cup to the paint-water, and don't place the two next to each other.  You will either drink the paint-water or rinse the brush in Mountain Dew.

When employing suspect matte spray, always test it on an area nearby first, lest it frost your mini thicker than vanilla cake icing (grrrrr...).

--Anne

Mmmm cake with vanilla frosting.

Gee, thanks Anne.  :p

Now I want cake.

Never, ever spray your mini from a height. Always be on level ground where the mini can't fall. And avoid spider webs as well. They will not be strong enough to catch your mini if it does fall.

And watch all weather reports. Know your humidity. Humidity is the enemy.

When employing suspect matte spray, always test it on an area nearby first, lest it frost your mini thicker than vanilla cake icing (grrrrr...).

--Anne

Oh yes.  You reminded me...

Always take photos of your mini BEFORE sealing them!

After this horrible summer, I've taught myself to just snap photos before the many horrible stuff that can happen with sealers.

Frosting, dulling mettalics, turns into semi-gloss rather than matte, etc.

But I'm afraid this doesn't apply to painters who scan them in.