Lessons from the paint bench

Thought I'd give this old post a bump, what with all the new faces here and all... maybe they'll have some wisdom for us.

However, to stay on topic... Here's a bit of wisdom from my recent return from vacation...

The cat only respects you while you're there. Go away for an hour, a day, a week, it'll forget everything you've asked it about staying off the paint bench and leaving the little bright bottles and tiny metal figures alone. I still think I'm missing some Vallejos, darn it.... ::D:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd give this old post a bump, what with all the new faces here and all... maybe they'll have some wisdom for us.

However, to stay on topic... Here's a bit of wisdom from my recent return from vacation...

The cat only respects you while you're there. Go away for an hour, a day, a week, it'll forget everything you've asked it about staying off the paint bench and leaving the little bright bottles and tiny metal figures alone. I still think I'm missing some Vallejos, darn it.... ::D:

Cats are known for that kind of thing which is why you pack those things up when you are going to be gone for any long length of time. ::D:::D:

I have a friend who cannot leave pens and other small objects on the floor because his cat Sammie will pick up the object and drop it in his water dish feeling it needed a drink.

Cats are known for that kind of thing which is why you pack those things up when you are going to be gone for any long length of time. ::D:::D:

Wish I could have! If you could see all of my paints and minis and how little space I have in my apartment, you'd understand. :rolleyes:::P:

Oh, well. So long as she was amused at my expense. ::):

hmmm, advice from the workbench, well here's one, if you have a young niece or nephew do NOT show them your paints. They will insist they need at least one of each color in order to combine them all into one soup to paint with...

This is when you get them a bunch of crap mini and some cheap acrylic craft paints and sit them down with cheap brushes and let them paint with that and encourage them. ::D:

I will in the future Enchantra when she's older then 2 1/2. lol

Then for now get her a large newsprint pad and non-toxic finger paints and let her have fun. Nothing like getting to paint with your uncle and him raving over your hand painted work! ::D:

Never show your work to high-school art teachers. Not unless you want to hear them gripe at you for doing such lovely work on minis but when asked to produce a lushly-shaded pencil drawing of 'artistically arranged' heaped adding machine tape you produce something of significantly lower caliber.

True story.

I learned something very important one day while painting with my 3 year old cousin watching. I left him there admiring my work while I went to use the washroom. When I came back, I had a solid blood red mini, SO when painting with young ones around, make sure you put the lids back on the paint pot..... ::D::blink::rolleyes:::P:

I learned something very important one day while painting with my 3 year old cousin watching. I left him there admiring my work while I went to use the washroom. When I came back, I had a solid blood red mini, SO when painting with young ones around, make sure you put the lids back on the paint pot..... ::D::blink::rolleyes:::P:

This is when you give them their own mini and tell them they can paint that in any color they want but they must not touch the one you are painting.

Yeah, but I got a good laugh off it and actually fixed the problem without stripping the paint. I simply used this as a basecoat, cause the mini's skin was red anyway. I created it as blood on the armour and weapon, the rest I covered in other colors, altogether it actualy worked out, and I awarded him with the mini, as a token of ummmmmm........Newbishness ::D:

thought id give this one a bump-ive learned so much painty goodness from you guys here one tis messageboard that i thought id better pay my dues and return the favor.

for holding a mini, i use no super glue, no wires (unless theyre stuck in the bottom of a plastic part/mini) no blu tac, no goop, no gunk, no nutznboltz. i mount my mini on the top of an old paint pot like many of you do, but to accomplish this i use 2-sided scotch tape. not the xmas wrapping kind that comes right off the roll sticky on both sides (and takes like 20 pounds of pressure to get off of the roll, because its sticky on both sides!), but the kind that has a backing when is on the tape roll that you have to remove to expose the second adhesive side.

i believe this is called poster tape. this stuff works like a charm. the mini will stay on that lid like nobodys business. you can turn it left, right, upside down, it aint goin' nowhere. i mount mine on some old polly's glass paint pots, and the darn stuff is so strong that you can grab the mini and use it to hold up the pot! (the pot being the heavier of the two)

the best part is, the mini will come off with a gentle tug (the stuff really does hold very well), and all you do is stick your next mini on -thats right, it is reusable. if youre not painting again for a while, just put the backing back on the sticky, and it will be ready when you decide to get off your lazy football watching arrr and paint again. however, this technique is mainly for minis like dhl, with integtral bases. minis with slottas, well the bottom of the slotta doesnt have a lot of surface for the tape to stick to-try at your own risk. but for minis with integral bases, its the cats meow! (really, you guys shouldnt let me post this late.)