Thinking about starting Warlord

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a Warlord army for ReaperCon 2011 as I will be there for the Painting Competition anyways.

So how is the game (hard/easy) to play? The larning curve? I play Warhammer 40,000 and know the rules for Fantasy. Also what's the price to get started and how many models for an army?

As for the tournament, do people normally play painted armies? That's what I am mostly converned about. In my 3 years of Warhammer 40,000, I have fielded a paintde army every game althought I've played maybe 5 painted ones.

Also what what are the factions in the game?

Thanks if anyone can help me answer these questons.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can help you in choosing an army. Go to the Reaper online store. Under Warlord, they've got all the models by faction. Sounds like you're a painter who can rock a force in time for the con, so have a look at the models, and see what you like the look of.

reapergames.com has an overview of the factions, and you can read up on them there. There are two books now, both viable. The Warlord 2 book has all of the core factions and rules, and it's inexpensive. The Savage North book has the newer factions, and if I'm not mistaken, all the core rules with ALL the special abilities.

Warlord is a fun skirmish game. It may seem "beer and pretzels," but it's got a lot of depth given the simple mechanics. You can really mix and match your troops, solos, and spellcasters to create some cool tactics, which of course last until enemy contact!!

Some of the more experienced Warlords will chime in here with more detail, but I've given you enough homework to get started.

I am a converted 40K and Fantasy player to Warlord. The game mechanics are very simple to learn. I knew the bulk of it after a single demo game. However, there is also "meat" to the game based around the different factions and special abilities. Unlike 40K and Fantasy, all the factions are balanced with one another (instead of whichever book came out last). Even the Savage North factions which were recently released are completely balanced with the older factions. As stated earlier, take a look at the online store and pick the faction with the minis that you like. Whichever one you can pick, it will be competitive. If you want to provide some more details as to your possible preferred playstyle (melee, shooting, magic, delicate strateegery, etc.), then we might be able to point you in a more specific direction.

Thanks guys,

I think I like the Undead Pirate Models.

I am thinking of using a force led by the Dark Maiden, but have no idea what else to get with it. With the Dark Maiden, what else should go into the force. I do not even know the rules to build a force, but I would like on based of of her. Playing style doesn't matter as I am in mostly for the painting. How many points (or whatever you guys use) is the tournament?

The Undead Pirate Models is the Razig faction. I love the look of the models. Some of the finest in Warlord IMO. They are a rather unique faction in that their rules are not in any of the books. They were pseudo released online. I think they might be still technically in public beta, but are tournament legal. Their faction doctrines may be found here. You can also find all their datacards at the Reaper Games Army Creator.

Warlord tournaments use 1000 point lists. You can find some more Razig-specific advice here.

Hail Lazuli, welcome aboard so to speak...

Obviously, you ask a very broad range of questions which is difficult to try and answer all of them in one place. But, will try to give a quick run through enough to get you going:

1. Warlord standard sized game is 1000 points (if you are wanting to play any pick up or tourney games at RCon, then this is the number to use). Army creation rule are fairly simple. A leader model will have their leader numbers posted on their card (online Army Creator found at www.reapergames.com) listed as (x-y/z). X is the minimum number of soldier models they need to take with them. Y is the maximum number of soldiers they can take with them. Z is the maximum number of elite models they can include over and above the soldier counts. They, themselves do not count towards the soldier count either. Leader models may only field soldier models that are the same or less cost than themselves (elites do not follow this restriction). Lastly, Solo and monsters (models that are a troop by themselves), you cannot field more of them than you have leader led troops. That is really about it when it comes to army creation rules. There are probably a couple more small things, but overall that's it in a nutshell. Oh yea, one more, you can never have more than one rank Warlord model in an army build.

2. Number of models and cost to get in... This one is tough to answer. In a 1000 point army list I have seen as few as 10 models and as many as 110. Granted the typical army ranges more like 18-25 probably. Although there are a few more expensive models in the RAzig ranks (like the Maiden) overall, their more skeleton-type filled ranks for the most part are fairly reasonable in cost ($4-5 per mini type).

3. Reaper does not require models to be painted to participate in play either socially or in tournaments. So, I cannot tell you what kind of ratio you will find.

4. Lastly learning curve. Typically I can teach you the full game, in terms of mechanics, in about 20 minutes. The rules were specifically made to get people in and playing quickly. Its the depth of the models' special abilities and the synergies you can have between them and learning and planning how to best use them that takes a long time. As you get more familiar with the special abilities, and the army creator on the reapergames website you will quickly understand what I am talking about. The good part is, when you create an army on that website, it lets you print out all the cards and the appropriate special abilities, spells, equipment, etc.. with their descriptions. So, I suggest tinkering with that for a day or two before actually settling on any particular models to buy.

Hope that helps.. and we are always here to answer more if we can...

Here's a Razig list to chew on, Lazuli. I'm not saying you will win with it (it has its faults), but it is a blast (quite literally) to play. Use it with Walk the Plank Doctrine.

Razig - 1000 points

Troop 1

Dark Maiden

Rat Swarm x 2

Luck Stone

Treasure Map

Troop 2

Black Knife Tom

Zombie Recruit x 2

Rat Swarm

Troop 3

Black Knife Tom

Zombie Recruit x 2

Rat Swarm

Troop 4

Grim Pete

Zombie Recruit x 2

Rat Swarm

Troop 5

Grim Pete

Zombie Recruit x 2

Rat Swarm

Troop 6

Grim Pete

Zombie Recruit x 2

Rat Swarm

Troops 7-12

Soul Cannon x 6

Bring up the guns and broadside 'em, me hearties!

~v

Here's a Razig list to chew on, Lazuli. I'm not saying you will win with it (it has its faults), but it is a blast (quite literally) to play. Use it with Walk the Plank Doctrine.

~v

Thanks for the list. I like the models in it and it's affordable too.

@Stubbdog,

Thanks, your post helped me alot. What would be an example of a 10 model army?

Or one below 15 models.

I'd prefer to paint each model as best I can rather than painting 30 models 3/4 of the way.

~v

Thanks for the list. I like the models in it and it's affordable too.

@Stubbdog,

Thanks, your post helped me alot. What would be an example of a 10 model army?

Or one below 15 models.

I'd prefer to paint each model as best I can rather than painting 30 models 3/4 of the way.

He was speaking in general terms about a 10-model (or less) army. Here's a quick example with Crusaders:

Crusaders - 998 points

Troop 1

Lady Jehanne w/Armor of Courage, Magic Weapon

Sir Damon the Impetuous x 2

Lion's Lancer x 6

Troop 2

Guardian Beast of Aurellius

There is a whole thread somewhere about building the smallest 1K army possible. With the right Warlord and Elite choices, there are several factions that can build really small armies. It simply isn't possible to do a Razig list that small. However, at 15 models...

Razig - 999 points

Troop 1

Razig w/Armor of Courage

Jackie Bones

Seahag

Salty Sabre x 6

Troop 2

Crows Nest Willy w/Magic Ranged Weapon

Bone Marine x 3

Troop 3

Dark Maiden w/Mast of the Maiden

Troop 4

Scuttlebones

~v

Here is another 15 model list:

Razig - 999 points

Troop 1

Razig - Bottle of Rum

Jackie Bones

Scurvy Dog

Murder of Crows

Salty Sabre x 3

Skeletal Harpooner

Troop 2

Black Knife Tom

Seahag

Bone Marine

Salty Sabre x 2

Troop 3

Dark Maiden - Mast of the Maiden, Familiar

Troop 4

Scuttlebones

---------------------------------

4 troops +1 spy

15 models (44 DTs)

Use the Dead Men Tell no Tales Doctrine, I just love the Marooned affect. Pick the opponent's 2 DT caster, not the 5 DT warlord and watch them squirm from the sidelines for half the game...

Wow,

Thanks Shakandara and Stubbog for those lists.

I'll check the models an run one of the 15 models Razig lists and run out to the Reaper HQ store which isn't to far from me to pick up the models.

Hope to see you all at ReaperCon ^_^

The nice thing about either of the lists Jason and I posted is neither cracks the $100 mark.

EDIT: Here's a list that is a little larger, and just barely cracks the $100 mark. I think it has pretty nice synergies too, both with Razig's WA, and the Dead Men doctrine.

Razig - 998 points

Troop 1

Razig

Clarissa

Jackie Bones

Scurvy Dog

Salty Sabre x 10

Zombie Recruit x 2

Troop 2

Crows Nest Willy w/Magic Ranged Weapon

Zombie Recruit x 4

Troop 3

Dark Maiden w/Mast of the Maiden

Treasure Map

Luck Stone

3 Troops, 2 Spys, 22 Models

Tactical advice: What I like here is the ability to use Willy to harass your opponent. He's really your only ranged model (not counting the spellcasters and Razig). With RAV 6 (from the magic ranged weapon) and the Ranked/Sharpshooter/Slow Fire/Sniper combo, if he is left unmolested, he can be devasating, picking off targets and denying them Tough checks. If your opponent takes the bait and comes after him, his death opens up the ability to bring any remaining members of his troop into Razig's, thus giving them the benefit of his WA for the remainder of the game.

~v

Edited by Shakandara