Reapercon basics

hugdctr

Those who are new to ReaperCon should also be aware that the Reaper facilities are pretty much in the middle of a big nowhere, and although one could conceivably walk to Kroger (if one were not going to die of heatstroke in texas in May), there are no side walks and it'd be dangerous. There's usually plenty of people at the best western with cars to give people rides, but you may want to consider renting a car. It's about a 30-45 minute trip by car from Dallas to Denton, also, so you'll want to consider how you're going to get from the airport to the convention. There've been carpooling threads in the past, I think.

The road Reaper is on can get fairly bogged down with traffic during afternoon rush hour (especially when the kids are going home) and it can be something of a treck to go get snacks and food, so I'd suggest bringing something or being okay with eating Sonic! Sonic has done alot to improve the quality of the food (as in, still warm, not soggy, etc) over the last few years so I am sure it will be satisfactory for most.. :)

But it's not like a hotel convention, or convention center, with onsight options for rest and food :) I think there was free wifi last year, though.

Ali

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artists

It is a pretty impressive Kroger. It has deli sandwiches, soups, sushi and some other lunch/dinner type foods in addition to regular grocery and pharmacy items. I dunno that I'd walk to it on a hot Texas May day even with reduced chances of road death, though. ;->

I dunno that I'd walk to it on a hot Texas May day even with reduced chances of road death, though.

It's usually not that hot for ReaperCon. :;):

I suppose everything is relative though, and at least down here in Houston, we're running 10 deg above normal for this time of year. ::P:

Ron

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that -- the Reaper facility is outside comfortable walking distance of much of ANYTHING. Unless you're going to be there all day, you're going to want a car.

Unlike most conventions, however, the Sonic food is comparable to... well... Sonic food, in both quality and price. You pay for a Sonic chili dog, you get a pretty good Sonic chili dog at the price you'd expect to pay for a Sonic chili dog. I mention this because I've been to so many conventions where they'd gleefully charge you five bucks for a soggy hot dog off a steam table, served in a stale hotdog bun, and then tell you it's an extra fifty cents for a little envelope of mustard... and laugh nastily if you even MENTIONED onions, chili, or relish.

ReaperCon's and Sonic's failure to utterly screwgouge their customer base is still a source of wonder to me. Surely, I have been to too many conventions.

It is a pretty impressive Kroger. It has deli sandwiches, soups, sushi and some other lunch/dinner type foods in addition to regular grocery and pharmacy items. I dunno that I'd walk to it on a hot Texas May day even with reduced chances of road death, though. ;->

Heck, I might go for it... How far of a walk is it? One mile? Mile and a half?

Heck, I might go for it... How far of a walk is it? One mile? Mile and a half?

According to Google Maps, it is 1.0 mile. Not too bad a walk if you took your time on a nice day.

Just keep in mind that in May there the weather can be quite variable (almost like home). I remember ReaperCons when the outside temperature was over a 100 degrees and ones where it was in the 60-70s. I certainly wouldn't plan on being able to walk anywhere comfortably anyway. It certainly can be done and it would be much easier than it used to be with sidewalks in although the way people drive along that road, I'm not certain I would even trust the sidewalk.

Is there a schedule of events? Opening welcome speech or something? Oh, if you aren't in a class, what is there to do? Tour the facility is 1 thing I heard. Can we watch people painting in classes or the staff at Asylum? Thanks for the info folks.

• Artists

When you arrive at the facility and pick up your goodie bag, you will also get a schedule of events that lists everything (or most everything) that is happening, and when it is happening. There's a lot you can find out the schedule of in advance by reading through the messages in this forum or the main site. This includes classes, Warlord tourney stuff, and at least some of the RPG sessions. The auction usually takes place Sunday around lunch or soon after.

There are often special themed games or other activities that will be on the schedule you get once you arrive at the Con. Last year there was an Alice in Wonderland themed Warlord event that ran several times. In previous years there were Reaper versions of Risk and Life. Stuff like that. The Asylum is open for browsing and purchasing, and there are usually people on hand to demo Warlord and/or other Reaper games, though as the demoer program is in flux I'm not really sure exactly what's up with that for this year. There's usually an hourly session of a simplified Warlord dungeon crawl that is lots of fun. Some years there have been larger seminars with an artist or author. There have been sessions of Sophie Says (like Simon Says but painting a mini) or Speed Painting in years past, but I don't know if these are planned for this year.

There are some activities that run all or most of the time. You can go upstairs and chat with the guest sculptors and painters. There are tables set aside for everyone to paint at. I think paints are provided but you need to bring or buy minis to work on. You can also purchase minis from the bins as well as buy blisters in the Asylum. So if you want 14 squirrels but none of the other animals in that familiar pack, you can pick them out and pay by the weight. If you have old minis you don't want, you can trade in the weight of the metal and exchange them for new minis from the bins (there's a sticky thread in this forum that goes over the exchange values and which brands of minis are accepted.)

Is there a schedule of events? Opening welcome speech or something? Oh, if you aren't in a class, what is there to do? Tour the facility is 1 thing I heard. Can we watch people painting in classes or the staff at Asylum? Thanks for the info folks.

You cannot go in and watch a class being taught. You can go upstairs though and talk with and watch the painters that are up there though. There are usually a fair number of people in the lunch room painting as well and no one is likely to turn you away if you politely ask questions about what they are working on or how they do a specific technique. After all answering questions about painting is mostly what we are there for.

Really all the is secondary to the auction, everyone is there for that, definitely the highlight event of the weekend. :lol::lol: