Reapercon basics

hugdctr

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget the donuts shop on the way to Reaper!!

(also I hear there is hot wings shop around there as well, might want to get some of those. You never know they might come in handy....)

In the shopping center about a mile away, there's a Kroger with a Starbucks in it, and a reasonably good deli counter and sushi bar (cheap sushi, but edible!). There's a Donut shop, a Frozen Yogurt store, a Pizza Hut, a Papa Murphy's, a Chinese take out, and they're making a Mexican place that should be open soon. There's a Walgreen's across the way from all this.

About a half mile or so from that is a Subway and a cozy Italian restaurant called Napoli's.

Beyond that, my map says "Here Be Dragons".wacko.gif

Excellent! Now I'm curious, since I haven't flown in forever, does anyone know if the metal minis and or tools are an issue to carry on? I suppose I should just check with the airline.. I would be a bummer to arrive and find out my bags were in Timbukto, so I was going to try and fit important stuff with me. I was flying out of Hawaii heading back home a few years ago with my stone carving tools, I don't know what I was thinking, with a bag full of sharp chisels, I just didn't want to lose them. They were almost confiscated, fortunately one of the airline checkers came to the rescue and got them to let it slide, explaining they were trade tools, phew! Not sure I'd be so lucky nowadays though. Anyhoo.. off to investigate.

• Artists

I haven't had a problem with minis, though I would pack them in such a way that they're secure should a TSA agent decide to just open the box and take a look. (Based on a true and not very happy story, but not my story.) Most hobby style paints I've seen have their sizes marked so should be allowable if you follow all the other liquid/gel rules. Though there is plenty of paint available to use at the Con, so unless you have a non-Reaper colour you used on a contest entry you want to bring for emergency repairs or stuff like that, I wouldn't bother packing paint.

I pack all tools and putties and so on. Two part putties and sharp pointy things seem like stuff an inspector would understandably get concerned about.

Tools and putties are very likely to be confiscated from carry on luggage (tools tend to be sharp and putties sometimes resemble two part explosives). Although I have inadvertantly managed to smuggle on an x-acto knife on several occasions (it didn't have the blade in it but there were a package of blades in the other compartment of my computer bag).

Typically my painted miniatures travel with me and all else goes in my checked bag. Thankfully, I don't have to travel with paints to Reaper, since they have all my favs available for use! Definately would want to put sharp things and putties in the checked bags. In a recent trip to San Diego I had my paint brushes in my carry on and no one batted an eye at them.

For people scared to carry suc stuff on the plane I would check with locals or the reaper guys and see of you could ship it ahead of time, just an idea to ensure it arrives on time. And could be there waiting for you. I know I'm driving up from corpus and wouldn't mind throwing a box or two in my car to drive up there if someone needed.