Sign in to follow this  
Nolatari

Possibly becoming a DM

I’ve had a group of friends who are hardcore D&D players asked me to act as the DM (dungeon master) for their game, because I seem to have a knack for strategy and I am just a little sadistic. -cue thunder and evil laughing- Is there anything I need to know that ISNT in the books? I’ve never played before.

Read "Dungeon Master 4th Edition For Dummies" probably some of the best advice books for new DMs. I suggest being a player a time or two before you DM so you can get a feel for the game mechanics. It's not required but it's a good idea.

Nolatari, the answer to your question is "Yes." The problem is that without knowing which version of D&D you'll be playing, it's quite difficult to even speculate what else you might need to know. The answer for 3.5 Ed. will be very different from that for 4th Ed., and neither will be very similar to OD&D.

What other RPGs have you GMed? Played? If you're used to Amber, you'll need very different advice than if you're used to Hero, which is far from WoD, and GURPS is different still.

Have a little something for each player involving their character so they each feel like they had a shining moment. It's best if you can tailor that something to what the player wants out of playing D&D, does the fighter love stomping bad guys by the dozen? Maybe the rogue prefers roleplay? Find what each player wants and give them a little taste each time. And plot twists, everyone loves plot twists.

How about an overwhelming amount of advice?

http://www.roleplayi...s.com/archives/

I've found Johnn Four's Role Playing Tips newsletter, and the associated mailing group invaluable, especially when I'm feeling overwhelmed, burned out or otherwise frustrated with GMing.

A couple of good issues to get you started:

10 Easy Ways To Think On Your Feet Better

Top Movies For Game Masters

Observations From A First-Time Game Master - 10 Tips For Beginner GMs

It's ok to be tough, so long as you are fair. My players have on occassion called me brutal, and there are entire sections of my campaign that they shudder over when the topic is raised. But I've never been cruel without cause, and never handled their characters in a way that was unfair to them. And because of that, they enjoy retelling those tales of the hard times, and they've kept coming back for more for over 5 years now.

The rest is gravy.

~v

Edited by Shakandara

If ya got the sadism down thats 90% of a successful recipe...LOL

Don't forget that a little bit of masochism helps, too. :devil: