Sign in to follow this  
CrispyMerc

Horde vs Special forces

Guess I should have been more precise with my question. :) Any experience in beating up über elites with a horde average boys. Is swarming effective or perhaps just boring ?

Depends on the build, but the typical theme is "overwhelming".

Find a way to leverage the numbers or size of the force to your advantage and the opponents disadvantage.

In some instances you can think of a swarm as a moving piece of terrain that funnels your opponents units where you'd like them.

In other instances, use them as just a wall of targets to overwhelm the opponents ability to bring their firepower to bear.

The games I've played with swarms tend to be quite close; I win when I get a good bead on their switch-hitters, I lose when I let several chances slip by.

Swarming can be boring if you don't have the game mechanics down, but once you do it's really fun (to me). Watching the dead pile up like cord-wood turn after turn is fairly amusing.

helpful?

Both are valid and fun. I have won games with 100 bond slave builds and I have won games with 8 models before. Each provide their own challenges that would take too long to describe here since again, all you have to do is change one piece of the puzzle and it becomes a completely different puzzle. Example, drop that 100 bondslave list down to say 80 bond slaves and add a caster or Iron Golem. It becomes a comepltely differnt list. Or on an 8 model list, drop one 150 point model for a troop of 15 pointers and you just doubled the number of models you had on the table.

I never play horde armies. I have played Elites vs Hordes, though, and they can be very fun. My Vamp only army vs a Goblin horde. The blood starts to fly early and never stops. Terrain management is absolute in that type of game. I was outnumber 5 or 6 to 1, but I put my back against a wall, defined where the fighting was going to happen, and he thought simple numbers would win the day. I killed so many Goblins that day, I still have a bunch in the freezer. You get sick of Goblin after a while. I should just throw the rest out.

I noticed that you can field more than 50 mecenary spearmen in 750pts. Most of the time that would be a 3:1 battle in our group. Ofcourse noone can blast that many away, but in the endgame after taking punishment by move, magic & bows, you have the remains fight the bigguys. This will probably 2:1 after impact. I guess it would be essetial to add musicians, to get your horde into action before it takes too much damage. It would also require that 10 spearmen can take out a 100-150pts bossman (is this realistic? )

Yup, either can be effective, assuming you understand what you are working with and play to your strengths. Thanks for clarifying your question, btw. :;):

~v

Thanks Vince.

Yep, toss in a battle totem and you can get pretty small counts in just about all of the factions.

Obviously, the mega muscle builds are not going to work in all situations. I have been wiped out before with them. But, then again, I have been wiped out or done the wiping with just about every kind of list build.

Thanks for the links.

Hadn't thought about the Totem. I guess because it's benefit reduces as model count decreases, so it never crossed my mind in a minimalist list. Also, with adding lots of equipment, I guess it is easy to create a very small army. The difficulty comes in creating a winnable very small army.

I agree. I am as likely to use a minimal model count army as I am to use a true horde, which is to say, almost not at all. They can be fun to dink around with every now and then, tho.

~v