Sign in to follow this  
Warwick

Army Giveaway?

Thinking about cool ways to boost Warlord, especially with Wildbill and I going to Recruits to showcase the game with demo tables and sell the novels. What if you painted up (basic tabletop quality) two small armies and gave them away with a rulebook? Would that make the receiver want to play more, or just have another game box in the closet? What about giving away rulebooks? Spend some coin to promote your favorite game by handing out some free rules. I loaned my original rulebook to a guy I met at a gameshop, just trying to lure him into the game. Never saw him again. Bah, it was worth it!

Are these crazy ideas?

For me, what I have done was give them the option of either I could give them a single mini after each demo for the first three demos, or they can wait until after they have done three demos and I would get them an army pack. Course this was during the BL era. I have changed it up a little since then. But, overall I think it is still a good concept.

Giving away a full skirmish group, I wouldnt do. Mainly cause if you are at a Con, then you might run into a problem of not having enough.

Well, I'm not giving away the army to everyone. It would be a one-time only giveaway to someone very interested in the game. I like your giving away a single mini. That would be easy to do. Have one from each faction. That sounds really fun.

I'm discounting the army idea, too. Sure, it might make one person play, but the time and money going into that one person could be better spent on a dozen people. So it's rulebook giveaways and single minis. Now that I think on it, I did this at GenCon, only it was with the novel, not the rulebook. It's still a good idea.

And one of the great things about Warlord is they don't sell the minis based on how good they are in the game. I can give away Orba just as easily as a Ronin. Orba doesn't cost an arm and a leg just because he can chop off an arm and a leg. Cool. I'm excited.

Giving a single mini is normally enough to whet the appetite. And always try to give them a Reaper catalog. A card with the url to reapergames/army builder & the forums is nice, in the past I'll get the players email address and forward the info and offer to answer questions as follow-up.