Jump to content

Dire Wolf Pack

Kannan Fodder

Recommended Posts

These guys have been sitting around for years in one of my "to paint" boxes. I originally intended to quickly paint them for gaming purposes because we were running into a LOT of dire wolves, so pretty much pulled them out of the blisters and primed them, then promptly forgot about them. I recently realized I needed painted monsters in order to make a break into running a game, so dragged the pack out to fill in the ranks. For those of you with rather keen eyesight, yes, there are mold lines visible. I "needed" to buckle down and focus on painting again, so jumped right in rather than taking the time to obliterate mold lines.


All were primed white, then I base coated the two darker ones in black. The one with the bone was painted using the technique Derek Schubert posted in the Craft section of Reaper's main website. I used the RMS Bone Triad on it and diluted Brown Liner as my wash. I used photos of wolves for my color references, then modified the technique as needed to get the color I wanted. And because they were intended for gaming, I sealed the living s**t out of them, which really muted the colors on the darkest one. (I say that because someone else pointed out that spray-on sealer can play havoc with delicate highlights/shadowing.)






  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all. It really means a lot to me that so many of you have taken the time to post compliments.


I went for totally different coats to make using them in-game easier.


The light one was modeled after a photograph I found online. I really liked it, and wanted to try to duplicate it.




Derek Schubert wrote a wonderful tutorial that is posted in the Craft section of Reaper's webiste. I followed it, but made some changes to account for my varying color choices.


For the eyes, I filled in the entire eye socket with RSM Pure Black, then painted the eye light brown. Next I worked up layers of RMS Marigold Yellow, then added a black pupil, and finally a tiny white dot. I used a magnifying visor and a #1 RMS sable brush.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...