Sign in to follow this  
Earthcrosser599

Starting Up Warlord...Only One Question

Hello,

A friend and I were looking at getting into Warlord since we both do a lot of painting Reaper models. I'm a veteran of HordesMachine, 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, and some of the GW skirmish games, so I'm not new to wargaming. The rules look pretty simple, which is a nice change of pace from other games.

I was looking at the Overlords to start with, since I really like General Matisse and the Onyx Phalanx figures, though the Bloodstone Gnomes are also tempting since I enjoy playing gnomes in D&D.

The only real question I had was concerning unit positioning. Is there any form of unit coherency in Warlord? Do your troops have to move in big blocks like Warhammer fantasy, or do they move like skirmishers, staying within an inch or so of each other?

Okay.

How do people keep track of what model belongs to which troop? My first impression was to paint a stripe or something on their bases, but then with the amount of customization in army construction that seems like it'd only work if I had a static list.

The only real question I had was concerning unit positioning. Is there any form of unit coherency in Warlord? Do your troops have to move in big blocks like Warhammer fantasy, or do they move like skirmishers, staying within an inch or so of each other?

There is no cohesion in WL. You can place your models wherever you want on the field, and move them pretty much however and whenever you want in an activation. Some models, like the Phalanx (and other models in the Onyx Legion doctrine) benefit from ranking up. Other models, not so much.

~v

EDIT: And to answer your second question, I paint a white stripe on the back of my bases, then number the models. I can always then say, #1-5 are in troop 1

and #6-10 are in troop 2. Easy-peasy.

Edited by Shakandara

Troops are pretty small and tend to bunch together even though there is no coherency rule. Also, you're likely to rank several of the same kind of soldier together, so it's not too hard to figure out who belongs where. Some of your troops are going to be solo models, like a monster or an assassin character, not hard to keep track of.

Oddly enough, if you come to Warlord from other games, the "no coherency" rule will make sense after you play a few times.

It can be strange to the uninitiated, but don't let it stop you from playing.

Only ONE question? Man... wish it were that easy with every new player..

just kidding.

Welcome aboard.

As already stated, we tried to keep things simple as this is a skirmish based game. Most of the time you are only going to get 15-25 models in a standard 1000 point game. So, both in terms of moving things around and keeping track of which models go with what troop, its usually not that difficult. We give game reason benefits for working as a team (i.e. model synergies that you can get working together like reach, provoke, and lockshields) but at the same time we leave it up to you whether or not to take advantage of them. Besides, there are plenty of times when spreading out it also advantageous (like when there is a spellcaster tossing fireballs and such).

The rules are pretty easy compared to some other systems. Then you discover that with 18 different factions, there is a constant search for the best army build. What works great against one build will get trashed against a different one. There are even major variations you can choose from within each army list. It's loads of fun.

The lack of cohesion rules really bugged me at first, but after playing a whole lot of games, it doesn't annoy me any more. Players generally build each troop to support each other, so most tend to stay pretty close anyway. There are the occasional troops that have a tactic of sending some cavalry or flyers out ahead or sending their elite shooter out alone, but usually it is a tactic that makes sense so you just accept it.

A trick I learned when I played Reven and had multiple troops using warriors. There are three different warrior poses, so I would use all one pose in each troop. With the Bloodstone Gnomes it's trickier since the minis don't have as much variety. Still, my Gnome builds usually have enough variety in model types that tracking which Scragger is in which troop isn't too hard.

If you are worried about keeping track, and don't want to paint a base, you can always use something simple like a piece of colored pipe cleaner. Less aesthetically pleasing perhaps, but easy for tracking purposes.

It is also easy to paint a small section of the model in a different color to keep track of the different troops. As an example I’ve painted the end of my crusader ironspines’ polearms in a different color, the shields on my dwarven warriors in blue, red, and purple to mark the different troops…