Sign in to follow this  
timmy65

Recording of the Classes

Please forgive me if this question has been asked before. Will the classes at ReaperCon be recorded and made available for purchase on DVD or via digital download? There are several that I would like to attend, however a trip down to Texas isn't a possibility this summer.

Thanks,

Tim

As far as I know none of the classes will be filmed; it'd be really hard to do so, especially as you can have two classes going on in adjacent rooms at the same time. Also, it'd be a nightmare trying to give the people who paid for facetime enough quality teaching while also pausing for the camera to get everything. Most of the painting DVDs you see can take days of filming just to get the couple of hours worth of decent footage. I think you'd be much better served using a DVD set like Laszlo's and going through it if you're looking for video instruction, or any kind of painting DVD designed to teach. ::D:

As far as I know none of the classes will be filmed; it'd be really hard to do so, especially as you can have two classes going on in adjacent rooms at the same time. Also, it'd be a nightmare trying to give the people who paid for facetime enough quality teaching while also pausing for the camera to get everything. Most of the painting DVDs you see can take days of filming just to get the couple of hours worth of decent footage. I think you'd be much better served using a DVD set like Laszlo's and going through it if you're looking for video instruction, or any kind of painting DVD designed to teach. ::D:

Thanks for the speedy reply! Depending on how the classes are being taught It might not be as tough as you would think with the right equipment setup. We have several of these Elmo devices at work and I think that they would be the hot ticket for recording some of your classes, provided the instructor stayed in a fixed location, such as at the front of the room.

http://www.elmousa.com/digital-visual-presenters.php

The instructor sits at a table with 5 students. It's really quite cosy, everyone is within elbow reach of each other and a camera would be a big imposition in that space. It's not a traditional classroom at all.

That, and for painting I know I usually have my lamps, two palettes, paper towels, water glasses, and paint spinners or caddies all around, not to mention all the demo items. I usually finagle like crazy just to get space for a large cup of coffee much less a giant thing taking up room that would get in the way of painting and demoing ::D:.

If you're really wanting classes to improve, timmy65, look for painting DVDs that will teach you how to transition smoothly from one color to another (be it blending, layering, or whatever). Once you know how to physically get paint on the model everything else boils down to where to put the paint, and you could probably pick up almost all of what you want to know online or in existing DVDs made specifically for teaching.

In other words, yes, it would be really super cool and awesome to put all ReaperCon classes on a disk, where you can see every brush stroke the painter makes and every gesture they give to the students. In reality, there's just no way that can happen, unless you happen to know a couple of multi-millionaires willing to part with gigantic sums of money for no return value at all ::D:.

that & it would take forever to stop, pose Monkey & take a shot, then stop, pose him again, shoot...repeat. :lol:

No kidding; for the past two years now I've had one class a day, and even just the two hours of How Not To Suck had so much talking from me I was losing my voice by day three. Not to mention usually in my class I'm painting two or three minis at a time while passing around another couple of figures.

Also, I forgot to take into account the room-to-room heckling, that'd derail a video all by itself.

While the smaller class sizes at Reaper do make it a little easier to sit in one spot and relate to all those present than at Gen Con, even there I'm up and around some. I like to let people see the dilutions I'm using on the palette up close, so I circle around and show each attendee that individually at several stages, and I do some doofy standing and posing and such to demonstrate zenithal light and so on. I think some of the instructors would not feel comfortable being recorded. (A lot of us are shy nerds not polished performers. ;->) Also Reaper might be concerned that it would dilute interest in actually coming to the show and attending the classes in person.

Thinking back to the classes I've taken as a student, while there are little tips and tricks I think would convey on a video of the class, I don't think very many of them would be nearly as polished or focused as a purpose-made video like Hot Lead or the Miniature Mentor stuff. Those have been pre-planned as videos and include close-ups of the mini, palette and brush painting on to mini at various stages that had to require stopping, setting up the shot and such, and then some good editing.

It's really amazing how far along things have come in such a short time, though. I started painting like 6-7 years ago, and I think there were only one or two videos available at the time. Few people had them, and they were pretty short. Now there are more all the time with different painting and teaching approaches. I almost wish I had waited to get into painting, it would have been great to have all the video stuff to see and to try before I got too set in my ways. So I completely understand why you would like to see recordings made of the classes!

I believe that Ann has stated on several occasions that the classes will not be filmed, it takes to much time away from the student. Plus it eliminates the main reason to even come to ReaperCon.

Only 5 or 6 students to 1 instructor? Damn that is so worth the $20. I really want to get down there. maybe next year. If only it wasnt my busy time of year with work.