Sign in to follow this  
Keldain

New to Warlord

Hey there everyone, I'm fairly new to Warlord, but not new to miniature war games, I've played Warhammer 40k, Warmachine & Hordes, and a few others in the past.

I picked up the Overlords Starting Army Box yesterday from my FLGS thanks to a good friend of mine who's also interested in starting Warlord.

So, what I'm wondering is what I should pick up next.

I currently have:

Ashkrypt, Lichlord of Craclaw

Balthon, Priest of Khardullis

8 Overlord Warriors

1 Familiar

All of this comes to just over 500 points, and so I'm wondering what else I should pick up to get my army up to 1,000 points.

Also while reading a few posts in the Overlords section I noticed a Lich's Bidding Doctrine, anyone mind explaining it to me?

Thanks,

~ Keldain

If you are going to use Ashkrypt (and by extension, the Lich's Bidding doctrine), then you are going to want Bondslaves, and a decent amount of them. Otherwise, the ability to reassign damage to other models is going to be costly. Think of it this way: Merack, Thurion, and Iks are all DV 12 on their first damage track. Bondslaves are DV 7. If you put one of those 3 previous models toe-to-toe with the enemy, they are going to have to work to hit that high DV, and when they finally do, you reassign the damage to a lowly Bondslave standing behind them in the 2nd rank. Your leader stands tough, while the Bondslave (at only 5 points) takes the heat. It is also a good tactic to help keep slightly more costly but fragile models alive longer (Arik, Warbrides, and Soriel all come to mind).

You could end up playing a list that looks something like this:

Overlords - 1000 points

Troop 1

Balthon, Priest of Khardullis

Moraia, Warbride

Overlord Warrior x 7

Overlord Crossbowman x 2

Bondslave x 7

Troop 2

Iks, Wight Taskmaster

Moraia, Warbride

Overlord Warrior x 5

Bondslave x 6

Troop 3

Onyx Golem

or maybe

Overlords - 999 points

Troop 1

Ranthe, Evangelist of Khardullis

Lola Darkslip, Assassin

Overlord Warrior x 8

Onyx Zephyr x 3

Bondslave x 3

Troop 2

Merack of the Onyx Phalanx

Moraia, Warbride

Overlord Warrior x 6

Bondslave x 3

Troop 3

Onyx Golem

Luck Stone

I've not fielded a list anything like either of these, so I can't say how well theywould fair from the practical side. I do think I like the latter list just a little better; it relies less on the Bondslaves, and instead has a little more overall speed to it with the addition of the Zephyrs.

~v