Well, I just finished up my Vanguard to fit in with Magnus the Warlord's other warjacks. I think he turned out pretty well.

The head swap happened because I used the proper Vanguard head on my Mule. This one comes from the Khadoran warjack kit. Altogether, I think it turned out pretty nice.

Also, I posted him on Coolmini, in case anyone cares to vote.

vanguard-3.jpg

vanguard-2.jpg

vanguard-1.jpg

• Like 1

The only thing that would have made this mini cooler would be to have used a *Cygnar* jack head. (I love Magnus myself and it would have been a great touch) Other than that, awesome.

PS, thanks for giving me a great idea. Magnus is one of my Merc casters and I have a second Vanguard to put together (at some point in the distant future)

The only thing that would have made this mini cooler would be to have used a *Cygnar* jack head. (I love Magnus myself and it would have been a great touch) Other than that, awesome.

PS, thanks for giving me a great idea. Magnus is one of my Merc casters and I have a second Vanguard to put together (at some point in the distant future)

I have a couple extra Cygnar 'jack heads. The trouble I found was that they were pretty small- especially in comparison to the proper Vanguard head.

Although, it could definitely be pulled off with a little green stuff so that the head sticks out more.

This is how you paint a warjack! Great design and colors you got going here. Those true metallics your so good at look great on this piece too.

Thanks.

Do you mean Metallic Metals? I've always understood "True Metallics" to mean that I polished the pewter to make it shiny (which I didn't). I've never actually tried that technique.

I've got some Gencon competition entries getting ready. I think I'll use one of them to get my NMM improved, and I might use another to see if I can't step my metallic metals up a notch.

Do you mean Metallic Metals? I've always understood "True Metallics" to mean that I polished the pewter to make it shiny (which I didn't)

Hey Odin. No, I meant it as using metallic paints. I did try the polishing thing once myself though...didn't care for it as much as painting. I suppose polishing the metal and glazing it could also be called "true metallics", but I've always heard others using the term true metallics when reading up guides about painting with metallic paints (I guess your guide calls it differently. I should know that though, I have it bookmarked after all :;): ).

Do you mean Metallic Metals? I've always understood "True Metallics" to mean that I polished the pewter to make it shiny (which I didn't)

Hey Odin. No, I meant it as using metallic paints. I did try the polishing thing once myself though...didn't care for it as much as painting. I suppose polishing the metal and glazing it could also be called "true metallics", but I've always heard others using the term true metallics when reading up guides about painting with metallic paints (I guess your guide calls it differently. I should know that though, I have it bookmarked after all :;): ).

Yeah, a lot of the same terms get used in different ways. We don't have a super-standard vocabulary.

I found three differed guys each refer to the exact same technique as Grey-scaling, Underpainting and Guide Coating. And the term Glazing goes in so many directions.

I even know someone who uses the term dipping to refer to taking paint off of a mini.

What I'm trying to say is, you're as right as I am on which words are best.

This looks great! I'll second that the non-green scheme is really rad. I'll be building a small Merc force eventually, and have a Vanguard in the wings already. Might just have to use this guy as inspiration. (Though I *was* going to do either black/olive and white or black/purple.)

Do you have other jack's painted with the same caution striping? I can't recall seeing them if so.

This looks great! I'll second that the non-green scheme is really rad. I'll be building a small Merc force eventually, and have a Vanguard in the wings already. Might just have to use this guy as inspiration. (Though I *was* going to do either black/olive and white or black/purple.)

Do you have other jack's painted with the same caution striping? I can't recall seeing them if so.

I thought that I had posted the most recent ones on here. At any rate, here they are, in chronological order:

beat_up_nomad.jpg

I meant for this one to be a test mini for my Cygnar. Most of my Cygnar are still unpainted...

mangler0.jpg

(this mangler won the Riddled with Bullets challenge from No Quarter)

genconbattlegroup.jpg

This is a battlegroup I entered into the P3 Grandmasters at Gencon. They won a silver medal.

magnus-renegade.gif

magnus-renegade-4.gif

magnus-the-traitor.gif

And the latest is the Vanguard you see above. Since I was painting some of these for competitions, I really didn't go too far to make sure that the force fits well together. I think you can clearly see the color scheme improving as you move down the line, and the blue seems to be getting less flat (although I think the battle damage and bases are most detailed on the P3 competition entries).