Reaper Con Sophie This Year?

Sorry Bryan, didn't mean to fearmonger. Remove my post if needs be.

I've only missed one Sophie thus far (extenuating family health crisis), and REALLY liked the artwork for this year. I'll more than likely order 2 or 3, as usual. Reaper Con Sophies are one of those little things in life that I so look forward to.

~M

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My coding sensei has a lot of English courses under his belt (possible a degree in it, if memory serves correctly). Since it's a comma separated list (guest starring my old pal, the Oxford Comma) the list should be read as separate entities. If it had read, "In the past we've stuck in the ReaperCon Sophie (a special annual Con figure, rumored this year to be a Cowboy Mousling), a Master Series Paint or two, and your t-shirt if you order it.", I'd say I could understand the confusion, but given the construction I personally don't understand the logical disconnect.

I usually have my battered copy of Strunk and White next to my computer but I've been moving a few things here and there, so I can't give a full breakdown, but that's how I read it. ::D:

I apologize also for not having a shiny Reaper button under my name; since I'm most active under the painting areas and one of the Reaper Paint Crew I chose to have the Paint Crew picture under my name. I would make a giant hybrid of the official Reaper Peep picture plus the painting avatar, but that would necessitate making whoever runs the forums having to jump through way more hoops than is usual. Most of the time when I'm answering questions in my "official" capacity as a programmer I never have to qualify myself, mainly because people believe me since I take blame for when bugs pop up ::D:.

Reaper does some pretty cool LE pieces, which is just one of many things I love about the company. I've seen a lot of concept art go to mini, and it's dead on. As a painter, I love the attention to detail on Reaper minis. That's the main reason I started buying them way back when. Christmas and Reaper Con Sophies are prized additions to my collection, mostly because most of my friends just don't seem to buy them, and that's one thing I really enjoy about having such a cool piece in my collection.

One of my all time favorite Sophies was a holiday themed one a few years back where she's wearing nothing but a top hat and banner, and holding up a toasting flute with a dazedly happy smile on her face.

I also love archaeology, so yeah, I am looking forward to getting my hands on this year's Reaper Con sculpt. And she's just so dynamic....

Keep up the great work.

~M

+ of course we did get the Nativity scene for Christmas as well so that along with Santa & Mousling Santa I think makes up for a missing Christmas Sophie. At least I think so.

Great mini, Herr Klocke!!!

Looking forward to seein that one in person & of course a painted version.

RM

My coding sensei has a lot of English courses under his belt (possible a degree in it, if memory serves correctly). Since it's a comma separated list (guest starring my old pal, the Oxford Comma) the list should be read as separate entities. If it had read, "In the past we've stuck in the ReaperCon Sophie (a special annual Con figure, rumored this year to be a Cowboy Mousling), a Master Series Paint or two, and your t-shirt if you order it.", I'd say I could understand the confusion, but given the construction I personally don't understand the logical disconnect.

I usually have my battered copy of Strunk and White next to my computer but I've been moving a few things here and there, so I can't give a full breakdown, but that's how I read it. ::D:

I apologize also for not having a shiny Reaper button under my name; since I'm most active under the painting areas and one of the Reaper Paint Crew I chose to have the Paint Crew picture under my name. I would make a giant hybrid of the official Reaper Peep picture plus the painting avatar, but that would necessitate making whoever runs the forums having to jump through way more hoops than is usual. Most of the time when I'm answering questions in my "official" capacity as a programmer I never have to qualify myself, mainly because people believe me since I take blame for when bugs pop up ::D:.

No, a comma is a pause, not a full separation - what follows after a comma is a continuation of, or a clause building upon, the previous statement. The best way to handle independent clauses would not be punctuation, but would rather be the ever handy word 'and'. A semicolon would also be proper punctuation in this case - but it seems that the semicolon is disappearing from vernacular usage.

Heck, I don't use them, and I know what they are for!

Using a comma implied the opposite of the desired message in this case.

Commas can have amazing power in that regard, as an example.

Woman, without her man, is nothing.

Woman, without her, man is nothing.

And now I have a song from Schoolhouse Rock running through my head.... :blues:

And, for what it is worth, Strunk & White's Elements of Style is one of the most absurdly useful little books in the world. I had a teacher who had White as a teacher, and Strunk was White's teacher.... White was shocked to find that Strunk had written, and had printed, that 'little book'. He found out only when he sought his teacher to find out where he could get the book so he could us it in his classes. It was at White's urging that the book was given wider release.

The Auld Grump, perhaps overly given to the use of commas and the ellipse....

No, a comma is a pause, not a full separation - what follows after a comma is a continuation of, or a clause building upon, the previous statement.

Except in a list. In a list a comma is a separator.

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/commas_in_lists.htm

But this was not a list, it was a statement of content. Similar, but with a different structure. By using commas in a differing manner within the same sentence you shifted into conversational mode.

A list would be along the lines of -

A Reaper Con Swag Bag contains: twelve lords a leaping, eleven swans a swimming, ten, wait a minute, who let the ocelot in here? It's eating the geese....

By phrasing the list in more conversational tones you changed the rules of grammar that pertained. English has some absurdly complex rules, many of which are ignored by, well, nearly everyone. English makes up for this by also being absurdly flexible. As I mentioned the semicolon is falling into disuse, but because you had written a casual sentence it was the proper punctuation. As written, you subverted the meaning of your statement by using an improper separator.

Me, I love the complexity of the language, and may parse with excess precision.

Even in my lifetime some of the rules have shifted (Strunk & White's have gone through several revisions in recent years, including the changing rules of e-mail.)

Some rules that used to exist have been gone for longer than anyone has been alive - when was the last time that you used a 'medial s' or 'long s', where the penultimate 's' in a word becomes indistinguishable from an 'f'? ('In Congrefs of the United States' from the Bill of Rights as an example.) Get a nice font and adding a medial s or a terminal (most often silent) e can go a long way toward making a handout look antique.

Or that a period does follow a terminal ellipses?

However, as much fun as a discussion of grammar may be (and I actually do think that it is fun) it is also off topic, so let us round it off here, yes? (Besides, my crow has been picked to the bones, and I have used the feathers to make a duster.) The dead horse has been beaten into submission. :zombie:

The important thing here is that Tomb Raiding Sophie will be coming out, even if she is going to be accompanied by a rodent. :wub:

The Auld Grump - "English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark allies, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar."

No, a comma is a pause, not a full separation - what follows after a comma is a continuation of, or a clause building upon, the previous statement.

Except in a list. In a list a comma is a separator.

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/commas_in_lists.htm

But this was not a list, it was a statement of content. Similar, but with a different structure. By using commas in a differing manner within the same sentence you shifted into conversational mode.

A list would be along the lines of -

A Reaper Con Swag Bag contains: twelve lords a leaping, eleven swans a swimming, ten, wait a minute, who let the ocelot in here? It's eating the geese....

By phrasing the list in more conversational tones you changed the rules of grammar that pertained. English has some absurdly complex rules, many of which are ignored by, well, nearly everyone. English makes up for this by also being absurdly flexible. As I mentioned the semicolon is falling into disuse, but because you had written a casual sentence it was the proper punctuation. As written, you subverted the meaning of your statement by using an improper separator.

Me, I love the complexity of the language, and may parse with excess precision. (Dur, ya think?)

Even in my lifetime some of the rules have shifted (Strunk & White's have gone through several revisions in recent years, including the changing rules of e-mail.)

Some rules that used to exist have been gone for longer than anyone has been alive - when was the last time that you used a 'medial s' or 'long s', where the penultimate 's' in a word becomes indistinguishable from an 'f'? ('In Congrefs of the United States' from the Bill of Rights as an example.) Get a nice font and adding a medial s or a terminal (most often silent) e can go a long way toward making a handout look antique.

Or that a period does follow a terminal ellipses?

However, as much fun as a discussion of grammar may be (and I actually do think that it is fun) it is also off topic, so let us round it off here, yes? (Besides, my crow has been picked to the bones, and I have used the feathers to make a duster.) The dead horse has been beaten into submission. :zombie:

The important thing here is that Tomb Raiding Sophie will be coming out, even if she is going to be accompanied by a rodent. :wub:

The Auld Grump - "English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark allies, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar."