Sign in to follow this  
Keldain

A question about Elites

Why are some Unique whereas others aren't? And why are the non-Unique Elites named? (e.g. Ymrilix the False & Moraia, Warbride)

~ Kel

Certain things changed from the first version of the game until now. Those two examples were once uniques. I for one am happy that they aren't, and that you could buy two versions of Ymrilix from Reaper, and still proxy a bunch of cool models from my collection!! All good for me.

The names are just names (i.e. fluff). The Unique status of a model is related to its general stats. While the game designers feel that all models are appropariately balanced within the framework of the game, powerful synergies can arise when it is possible to replicate a particular set of abilites without limit. Thus, certain models were restricted to Unique status in an army to prevent abuse of such synergies. In general, an effort was made to minimize the Unique tag as much as possible in the game.

~v

Shak hit it on the head. For example, all lvl 7 casters are unique and some lvl 5 casters depending on which tomes or spells they have access to.

Yeah, IIRC, it was often combinations of abilities/model type that caused the Unique status. For example, having the Spy SA did not automatically make you Unique, but being a Solitaire with Spy did.

~v