The curse of the crackled paint again

yani

I'm using blood red

I'm posting this on my phone so i'm not sure if the pictures will load up but if it does, the arm has three coats of paint; the left wing is paint diluted on 5:1 paint to water, and the right is one coat of pure paint

post-4478-13023033295292_thumb.jpg

post-4478-13023034452398_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually leaving the crackle effect on the wings - I thought it looked cool too :)

I did the underside of the wings with Carnage Red and the same thing happened. So I figured it was the primer - and it's the same primer I use for every mini. I did a rough coat of the brush-on primer over the model, and the same thing happened, only on a smaller scale. Maybe I need to make the primer "set" for a longer period than 24 hours? And yes, I gave the mini a massive scrubbing - it had bright orange primer on originally and I spent a good week trying to get rid of most of it.

I've gotten this effect when I apply a layer of Elmer's Glue, let it dry (but not overnight!) and then apply ordinary acrylic paint over it... accidentally discovered it when I was making a Cthulhu statue out of sculpey. I've never seen it happen with primer before, though -- the effect is caused by the acrylic paint drying and then being disturbed by the shifting in the drying glue UNDER it.

What kind of primer needs to set THAT long?

(oh, and if you wanna see something fun? Paint a "golem" type miniature in fluorescent orange. Let it dry. Coat with Elmer's. Let it dry for a few hours. Then paint it black. Come morning, you'll have a crackled black volcanic golem. Loads of fun. Minimal effort!)

• Artists

There is some discussion of crackling issues (including a response from Anne) in this thread. (There's also a secondary conversation going on about someone's video painting tutorial, but keep reading through the whole thread, it goes back and forth between the two convos.) http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/38647-is-reaper-msp-designed-for-wet-blending-and-not-layering/

• Reaper User

Hmmm, I have not heard anything about that issue for a long time. We made some adjustments to our paint bases to attempt to make them a little friendlier for thicker applications, but as you say you're thinning I'm not sure what you're running into here. I'm inclined to think either a primer issue as others have said, OR you have a bottle that has gone bad. In either case, that's not an acceptable result in my book, so please do contact [email protected] and request a fresh replacement bottle. ::):

--Anne