Sign in to follow this  
CrispyMerc

Point size - game ballance

I noticed that most of the list are made to play 1000 pts. I wondered if the game became more ballanced at the magic 1K pts? More forgiving to alpha strikes and extreme builds? Also a setting the points at 750, will for example be 50 point short of merc reroll. Does some armies benefit for more or less points?

Yes, the game is designed with 1000 points as the standard size in mind. In general, the game scales very well, both up and down, from there. However, as you get smaller, it becomes harder and harder to deal with every possibility that your opponent (or a scenario) can throw at you. As such, it is easier to have small inequalities become magnified (a flyer-heavy list against an army with no casters or archers, etc.). It can also be hard to counter very expensive models as part of a small list. As you go above the 1K mark, this pretty much never happens.

~v

Around here, we ramped up from 1K, to 1.5 and even 2K battles. Recently, we have gone down to 500 points, mostly for demos and such. Shak nailed it. At lower points it becomes much harder to counter certain abilities. Damage Reduction is a terror. The ebb and flow of a good game isn't as pronounced, either. 500 points feels like a different animal to me. Odd that we have rarely played 750.

I prefer 1,500 points. I feel that you can pretty much field anything you want to field without having to really sacrifice much. Want that big nasty monster AND your warlord? Now you can! ::):

We play 1000 on week nights for a faster game, and 1500-2000 on weekends. I use 450 for demos. We've done 500-750 for scenario specific games, but not often. We never suffered from imbalances on the higher pt value. On the lower end it gets off a little bit perhaps, but not too much. It tends to make the armies a bit more extreme in their design and can be a little harder to counter.

I think everyone pretty much voiced the right answer. The less points you play with the less options you are bringing to the table to counter whatever tactic your opponent has brought with them. That doesnt mean its not balanced, it just means that you have to do a better job of lining up your rock to their scissors cause you might have only brought 1 in your smaller list.

In larger point games you have more flexibility to bring for example 2-3 different rocks while still having space left over to fit in a bunch of paper too so to speak.

I hate rocks. DR3? Really?

I'm kidding, no one panic, no digging through rules looking for Damage Reduction 3.

You joke, but when we were originally working on V2, we did have DR3 included.

I remember that! We also had Mighty as a variable, Mighty/X. I fondly remember Hill Giants with DV 13 and Mighty/3, squishing Crimson Knights in one blow. :wub:

You had to bring up the squishy Crimson Knights? And DR3 was an abomination!

Playtesting was fun.

And let's not forget the squishy Crusaders! I had like 3 Hill Giants wipe out Not Sure's entire Crusader army. Ahhhh...those were the days. :wub:

Didn't we do goofy stuff like DR/3 and DV 13 and Tough/4, all on the same model? Now that is an abomination!! You finally get that mother effer down only to find him stand back up again! Ouch! :wacko:

yes, playtesting was always interesting for sure.... Rauthoros had tough/6 at first. The elven tree and Dwarven Stone Spirit had DR/4. The hill giant and Nefsokar Avatar had Mighty/3.