Sign in to follow this  
Warwick

LIVID!

No, livid is not a new SA. It me being very, very angry. Let me set the scene. I get a lot of my armies from ReaperCon metal trade or from proxy DHL models. What these lack are Warlord bases. So I buy bases. I have them from two different sources because I like the look of the laser cut wood bases. I dug them out last night, and for some reason I can't explain, I slapped a ruler on them. And this is where I get angry. What good is a precision, laser cut base if it IS NOT ACCURATE?! When I order 40mm square, I fully expect to get 40mm. Not 39mm! My new Ragon blister came with a 40mm base, dead on 40mm, not 41mm, not 39mm. It's not being silly! I can see the difference. It drives the draftsman in me insane. I designed buildings that weren't off this much.

Now I'm going into the gameroom with a ruler and a bad attitude. I have a whole box of bases I can't use. I might even have to unbase models! Curses!

Good thing they weren't off by that much performing some laser surgery on you!!

Feel free to vent. Miniatures and millimeters are always contentious.

You should return them and get a refund. If they aren't polite, post this experience so no other falls prey to this.

Switch to Reaper's plastic bases with the lip on'em. They're my favorite.

Cheers.

I can't return them. I bought an empty box, then was allowed to stuff the box with bases of all sizes. I should have measured, that's all. The rounds are off, too! It must have been some kind of mis-labeling.

You know, it won't make a bit of difference in game play. It just annoys me. How can you call a product 40mm and it's only 39!? Ye Gods, man, what if lives were at stake?

Oh well, thanks for the sympathy. Livid has gone. I ate a hamburger. I feel better. I'll let you know the damage to existing minis later.

I guess laser cut doesn't mean precise cut. I'll know more when I have time tonight to call in the UN for inspections and evaluations.

so basically, they set their cutter to cut at the 40 mm mark leaving 39 mm left, instead of cutting at the 41 mm mark to leave 40 left.

I will have to remember that next time we play... if you just get into btb with me, I am gonna yell "step back beee-aach... you is 1 mm short.."

Stubbdog, I damn near spit cheese crackers all over my screen. You are evil! See, this is my genuine fear. But worry not, I'll be giving all the minis a solid going over. I'll have exact mm if I have to make them myself!

Mercius, it does change how you look at the world. I'm not even in an exacting business (housing, fire alarms, electrical design) and I go nuts when things aren't exact. The installers and builders don't care at all. It's a "good enough" world when it comes to construction.

But wargames!? No! Must be exact.

Having worked with laser cutting technology, it might have been as simple as a bad setting which burned an extra .5 mm off of each side,or...

They didn't do a test run on the wood to discover that this kind of cutting will lead to .5 mm of burnoff.

Now I"m gonna break out the vernier calipers when I get home. (Damn you, Stubdog!!!)