Sign in to follow this  
Duliniel

Chicks aren't supposed to like "boy fiction" like The Hobbit and Game of Thrones...

I read the whole review, very weird! Seems like they should have had someone who had even a remote interest in the series watch it. or someone who had a remote concept of the idea of making popular books into TV shows. (The added dis on True Blood was odd.) I doubt much in the GoT TV show was added to appeal to a particular demographic, it's there because it was in the book! The only books worth making into TV shows/movies are the ones suburban book clubs enjoy? The only women who read books are in suburban book clubs? Where is this person going with any of it!?

uuuh huh . . . mmmkay. So, I guess I'm really a dude then? Better check my pants just to see.

*looks*

Nope, still a girl. Huh, how can that be? I'm a girl and I like both Martin and Tolkein?! SHOCK! I also know more about sports than the male living with me.

Wren--I'm with ya. It all seems very disjointed in the writing and the argument anyway. How do you make the leap that because you like Martin you also like Tolkein? I mean, they are fantasy authors, they are both good, but isn't there a possibility that someone could like one and not the other. I'm not sure I get the logic train on this article, to be honest. Seems a weak attempt to try and diss something that people like.

Maybe the author of this article should take a hard look at just who-TF reads the NY Times. It's hard to disgrace modern journalism, but somehow the Times still manages to do so.

What is boils down to is a snobby critic doesn't understand why anyone would like something she would turn her nose up at. Not very surprising, when you think about it.

My life is filled to brimming with fantasy-loving (lovely) ladies. At any given time, more than half my gaming group are girls. Tolkien-loving, Dr. Who-loving, Dorkness Rising-loving girls, girls, girls!

I'll just say what everyone is thinking. Chicks that dig Tolkien and Martin's writing are sexier. Case closed.

Agreed! Not only do we possess all the fun things to play with :poke: but we also have a brain, know how to use it and enjoy exercising it regularly. I mean a woman who can hold an intellectual conversation and enjoy Sci-Fi/Fantasy writing--way hot! A guy who is into it--hot!

How do you make the leap that because you like Martin you also like Tolkein? I mean, they are fantasy authors, they are both good, but isn't there a possibility that someone could like one and not the other.

This is a really interesting point. It's kind of like that huge group of people who think that all LOTR fans have to be Harry Potter fans, too. Or, on the opposite end, the Tolkien fans who can't fathom how a true Tolkienite can possibly like Harry Potter. I happen to like both for entirely different reasons. To me, they have very little in common except that they're both in the fantasy section of the bookstore (and in my home library -- yes, I sort my books accordingly). Rowling is certainly not the genius that Tolkien was, but she can spin a good yarn. It's just not fair to judge every fantasy author against Tolkien. He set the bar very, very high.

Maybe some of us Reaper fan-girls should start a book club. We could lure our "normal" friends in with Marion Zimmer Bradley, then spring some Lovecraft on them.

uuuh huh . . . mmmkay. So, I guess I'm really a dude then? Better check my pants just to see.

*looks*

Nope, still a girl. Huh, how can that be? I'm a girl and I like both Martin and Tolkein?! SHOCK! I also know more about sports than the male living with me.

I'll just say what everyone is thinking. Chicks that dig Tolkien and Martin's writing are sexier. Case closed.

Agreed! Not only do we possess all the fun things to play with :poke: but we also have a brain, know how to use it and enjoy exercising it regularly. I mean a woman who can hold an intellectual conversation and enjoy Sci-Fi/Fantasy writing--way hot! A guy who is into it--hot!

That just made my day :poke: BTW Glad to you still have "all the fun things to play with" ::D::wub:

Fantasy in itself is not unlike all literature, it has subsections and genres all it's own. I am a huge Terry Brooks fan, which was what got me hooked on fantasy. I read Tolkien after the Sword of Shannara series and never made it past the first part of the The Two Towers. It wasn't until years later that I developed an appreciation for Tolkien. However, Brooks wrote a series of Landover books that I never cared for. Even with the success of Brooks, fantasy still doesn't get the respect it deserves. To me it would be easier to write a story set in a real world than to create a world to write the story in.

Same with other authors though like Terry Goodkind, R.A. Salvatore (he always seems to have a new book coming out), George R.R. Martin . . . fantasy literature and fantasy/sci fi art doesn't get taken as seriously as it should.