Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

Hobgoblins

I just dropped some coin on all the Reaper Bugbears they make for my Reven army.

Now I'm thinking about adding some Hobgoblins. Who doesn't love these guys?

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/hobgoblin/latest/03040

Which data card would work best for them, assuming they've got the sword and shield combo?

They're more heavily armed than the Lesser Orcs.

Any help appreciated.

Well, assuming you are wanting to field them with the Reven, then you really are between two choices... you either run them "light" and field them as orcs, or you run them as heavier and field them as bull orcs.

I guess it depends on which weapon load you give them as to which way I would go personally. If you indeed grab sword and board minis then I would probably go light with them and make them reegular orcs. This is because the bull orc warriors and the bugbear warriors both fill the same point sink and roll. By running these as lighter orcs, you give yourself more options.

If you choose spear toting minis, then I would consider fielding them as the heavier bull orc hunters. That 3rd DT and higher MAV on the hunter make it worth considering.

That's the beauty of the game!! I guess I could run them as those, or even as a variant of the Bugbears!! I could also use them for double duty as Merc swordsmen.

My head may explode thinking of all the possibilities. :zombie:

Obviously for house rules you can do whatever you want. But, for regular play, if you run them as Merc swords, then you would need to be playing a Merc list overall. Course if you do that, then you could just proxy the bugbears as the samurai dudes or something.. Yep, the beauty of Warlord and the Reaper proxy rules.

I only ask that you keep your opponent in mind when you do. If you throw out 20 different mix and match proxied models on the table, that are hard to keep track of, then it will aggrivate your opponent and most likely either result in them not wanting to play you again or make them want to do the same back. Proxies are good as long as you keep the models used consistent to the datacard being played (sword and board, verses archers, verses casters, etc..)...

I just dropped some coin on all the Reaper Bugbears they make for my Reven army.

Now I'm thinking about adding some Hobgoblins. Who doesn't love these guys?

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/hobgoblin/latest/03040

Which data card would work best for them, assuming they've got the sword and shield combo?

They're more heavily armed than the Lesser Orcs.

Any help appreciated.

If you just wanted to start with a single pack you could use them as Leader models and use the Kak Urg datacard. I think Hobgoblins leading Orcs might be pretty cool, and Kak has a datacard that fits my vision of a Hobgoblin pretty well.

I should have mentioned I'm also putting together a Merc force, but I'm thinking Reven first.

I'd love to see some more Hobgoblins from Reaper, but I guess I'm in the minority.

I hadn't thought of them as the leaders!! Thanks for the advice. It would be easy to do that with the three pack and not lead to too much confusion.

@stub -- I'm lucky if I can keep track of my own force, so I won't be throwing so many proxies my opponent couldn't follow the plot..

Thanks for the tips.

Another option would be to make a "Goblinoid" Reven build and use Goblins as your soldiers, Hobgoblins as your Leaders and Elites, and Bugbears as your Solos and Brute Squad soldiers.

DHL goblins = Standard Goblins

WL Goblin Warriors = Lesser Orcs

Goblin Rangers/Skeeters = Bull Orcs

Hobgoblins = Leaders

Lunk/Gonda/Neek/some of the beefier DHL goblins = Elites

Bugbears = Ogres and Solos

The scale difference between the DHL goblins and the WL goblins would help differentiate their races. There are enough poses between them for the various different Data Cards as well. You would still maintain the progression of weaker to stronger, but using only Goblinoids.

Dig!! I just assembled Gronkelfibbets and Mazak last night. My Bugbears are in the mail. I've got DHL goblins that sprang from cover last night while sorting my models out, and primer is ready!!!

It's funny. I love the Bull Orcs, and the Lesser Orc sculpts, but I want to run the army you just wrote down.

I can always add more later. Money is tight, so I'm going to paint up some old Chainmail sculpts and put'em on square bases.

I've enough of those Gnolls to fill out archers for Reven, or run a whole Kargir army!!!!