Sign in to follow this  
twjolson

Two Questions

So, I am finally finished with school, for now, and i have some time to paint.

I want to paint some quarters, as per a post I saw previously on this forum. This leads me to two questions.

I have heard of Testor's DullCote being used as a primer. Can the same be done with gloss sealers? I do not plan on painting the background of the coin, so I figure if I can prime with gloss sealer, it may make the background shine a bit more.

The other option I am thinking, is shining up the background metal. I read an article some years ago about buffing the metal up, rather than using metallics or NMM techniques. However, I could not find this article again. Does anyone know the article I am talking about? Does anyone have any real experience with it?

Not with gloss sealers because they don't have any tooth. You need something with texture for the paint to take. The gloss coat creates a smooth, plastic finish.

To buff metal you'll want to get a buffing attachment for a Dremel. They are white felt usually and you can get them in a variety of shapes and sizes.

Rubberized polishing points and cylinders for the dremel are also great for shining up metal minis; the points especially, when you need to get into tight corners that a wheel might miss, though I have found the cylinders sometimes give a slightly shinier finish (can't remember which colour of cylinder made them shiniest; there are 3 different colours with finer/coarser grit IIRC but it's been a while since I used them rather than the points). The points still give a really high level of shine though. The name of the online store where I got mine escapes me ATM, unfortunately. I find they are also great to use after filing off mold lines, to get rid of the rough patches where the file went. I do this before priming on any parts that are supposed to be smooth, though I imagine it would work well if you're planning on using bare polished metal too. It can even help you spot the traces of mold line you missed... *before* you apply primer! (though sometimes they get so shiny you think there's some mold line left when it's really just a reflection)

Kang