Just in case someone missed it

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't miss it. It's on every news page I've seen tonight.

Let's not forget all those who are now lost, Americans, Muslim, and otherwise because of his actions. May those maimed by his (and his lackeys') actions find some peace in the fact he is now gone.

/d

While I agree that it probably won't change the security situation (though I can still hope even if outright partying and talking about returning soldiers is WAY beyond my level of optimism), I am happy that this person who organized and planned several mass murders can no longer hurt anyone. If nothing else his death may help the family and friends of his victims.

I'm guessing that we can keep this going so long as we keep the discussion mature, so here go my thoughts:

I think it's a shame that we couldn't have made a clean extraction to bring him to trial for his crimes (many more besides Sept. 11, 2001 attacks) before the world. Now that he is dead, there is a chance that he has achieved some level of martyrdom to people sympathetic to his goals. Amazing, given that he wasn't more than the "big idea" guy. And of course the very public celebrations might only exacerbate this; people who might have been sympathetic while not neccesarily dedicated to the cause might be tipped towards action.

I've heard the phrase "cutting off the hydra's head..." ...uh, last time I checked, hydras tend to have several heads. All I'm saying is that we temper any excitement about this with the realization that this changes little, and might have a blowback effect. The times, they have gotten more interesting.

I feel relief and sadness more than anything else. I don't condone the killing of anyone if it can be helped. The death of anyone is not something to be celebrated, no matter how evil we may think they are. The loss of human life is to be mourned, period. But I also understand that it is a necessary evil that must be done for the safety of our friends, family, and this country.

While this does not end anything, it is a victory. He had resources, networks, and prestige. All of that disappears with his death. Moreover it reminds the less-committed jihadi or soldier of fortune that everyone is "touchable".

He was also a charismatic leader and brought a lot people to him with his status. Granted, now he's a martyr, but a martyr can't throw out any new ideas (one of the pesky drawbacks of being dead). Sure, someone else will take over, but if we can grant that he was the best leader they had (as evidenced by being in charge for so long), any replacement would be, by definition, easier to deal with.

Plus, one terrorist killed is one terrorist killed, regardless of rank. They can quote things like "for every one killed x more rise up to take their place", but despite the nice ring that has for the news, it's only true to a point. There's a finite population (and birth rate), which means that you can only replace each guy killed with more than one new guy for so long before there just aren't enough new guys to keep it going as a large, coordinated movement.