Mouseling Muskeeter

Here's the latest on the table. It's going to be a gift for my daughter's 10th birthday. Got quite a bit to do yet, but as you can see the basics are there. My primary question is for the capstones on the wall and bricks at the bottom of the wall. I started with Uniform Brown, but just am not feelin' it. The floor will be a stone road; I've got Aged Bone as the base with Bone Shadow as the base for all the little stones embedded in the mortar. The leaves are all not placed, of course. I'm open to any other suggestions as well. ::D:

WIP1-1.jpg

Here's a quick pic of the musketeer himself. Again, very early on here with just the basics down; it will give you an idea of the color scheme I am going with for the mouseling. I'll probably try and squeeze in a cross or a fleur-de-lis on the tabard, too.

WIP2-2.jpg

Thanks much for your thoughts!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have the ability to add a few flowers to the vines growing up the wall. Both for the fact that it is your daughter's birthday and girls usually like flowers, and also that I think a small splash of color will help offset the browns that you are referring to and help them out. We have a vine of orange trumpet flowers that grow along our back fence that I think would look great on this piece.

Second suggestion, depending on your time you have and ability, would be to grab a second mouse, probably the banjo player, and do a little conversion on him to make him sitting on top of that wall singing away. Would both be cute, and also would give a little more life into the scene. Or maybe a water barrel sitting up against the wall with like a hunk of cheese on it that he is warding off a would be cheese stealer...

Your idea of painting a fleur de lis sounds pretty good. Or you could paint a wedge of cheese there too.

I'm worried about the structural integrity of your wall, it looks terribly unfinished like that with part of the arch hanging into space. The colors look good, although I think I would go for a terracotta look of the capstones and the base stones. They blend into the wall a bit to much for me. For the suggested flowers you might check with a hobby shop specializing in model railroad supplies in your area or check scenic express online.

I dunno about the Uniform Brown, white, and green on the wall. Maybe try to take the stonework a bit further in the greenish ochre direction to tie in with the leaves by analogous rather than complementary colours? Take the leaves more towards a yellow-green to match the static grass? Or go the other way and shade the wall aggressively with dark blues to tie in with the Musketeer's tabard, and take the grass more towards the leaves' blue-green?

Two sources of dissonance for me are the different hues between the capstones (orange-brown) and the kerb-stones (green-brown), and between the leaves (blue-green) and the grass (yellow-green). I like Heisler's idea of terracotta stone-work; unifying the capstones and kerb-stones might make the contrast on the greenery "interesting" rather than "another jarring element", especially with something red to set them off.

Good thoughts everyone--thank you!

@Stubbdog--definitely won't have time for the bard mouseling. The flowers may be possible; I'll have to dig around and see what I have. The cheese is pure genious and adds an element of storytelling to the piece that is absent currently.

@Heisler--yes, shoddy construction indeed! I'll give the terracotta a go.

@Ferox--interesting what undercoating does! Both the capstone and kerb stones are painted with Uniform Brown. However, the capstones are over a white primer but the kerb stones over a black primer. Don't ask me why. The kerb stones were added late to the project and I was primering something else black so I decided to save primer and primer the kerb stones in black. I'll keep the leaves and grass similar color, the leaves aren't entirely finished yet, but I will definitely add a bit of yellow to the highlighting.