Sign in to follow this  
Ddot

Damage Tracks and List Building

How much consideration do you put into the number of DT's that go into the army selection? Doing some Darkspawn lists I noticed that models with fewer DTs tend to suffer in terms of killiness; the killy models tend to be expensive with not much more in the way of DTs, thus fewer models and fewer net DTs (althugh some have Regeneration/3(/4)). This might alleviate things somewhat, but it was something I thought about after some people posted army DTs in their lists and others didn't.

This one is a very tough discussion. As everything depends on everything else. For example, in Necropolis, the zombie queen gives good benefits for zombies in her troop, so you will probably stack them up. But, change out leaders and that same stack, while fun, doesnt have the same glow anymore.

You take a model with lots of tracks then obviously you will have less models, but you pair that one model up with caster that can give him Iron Skin, or heal him, or ressurect him, etc.. and it becomes much more valuable.

An SA example could be, a two track low DV model that has disable helps to counter that low DV when they disable their opponents (and disable lasts for a full turn) so even if they die they help the overall cause.

Are the number of DTs important? Yes. But, it all depends on the build and synergy theme that you are building around.

Total number of DTs is fairly low on my list of considerations, though I have examined the number from time to time. Synergies, balance, initiative card count, and model count all rank higher in importance for me when building a list. However, it is not completely irrelevant, as there is a direct relationship (especially for soldier models) when it comes to a high point cost per DT related to the number of attacks the model has (see the thread on Crusader Justicars for more on my thoughts about this). Also, some SAs can make the number of DTs in a list a bit deceptive (DR is the primary example).

~v

So maybe it would be something to consider if building a Nefsokar list, as thay have a good bit of DR and Restore tome available to them, but not so much with Darkspawn who have very little DR and no access to Restore?

I did notice what you mentioned about attack SA's with defensive applications such as Disable, Shock, and Assassin. Darkspawn has those in spades, so if I run a killy army, I should at least be in a better place once I make contact. In theory anyway.

Thanks for clear answers.