Sign in to follow this  
CrispyMerc

A few questions

1. Walls - I noticed that it is possible to block walls with models standing just a cm from them. They can now not be attacked in close combat, from enemy models who need to cross the wall. Viable tactic or what?

2. When during deployment is a totem placed?

1. This is really between you and your opponent when you are in the phase of the game when you are establishing the game parameters for each piece of terrain. If the wall is large enough to stand on, then the rules of being in base-to-base while on different elevations comes in to play. Also, presumably, your model is not completely surrounded by walls that are less that a base-size away on all sides, so just because the enemy might not be able to get into B2B with you from the wall side does not prevent them from basing you on another part of your base.

2. It is not specified in the rules. Since it does not have an initiative card in the draw deck, we always deploy our totem on our last card during the deployment phase.

~v

I might be missing something regarding question 2. Is deployment also carried out according to initiative deck draws? If so, if I use Demonic Conclave, do I declare what models/troops are starting the game "in play"?

I might be missing something regarding question 2. Is deployment also carried out according to initiative deck draws? If so, if I use Demonic Conclave, do I declare what models/troops are starting the game "in play"?

That would be yes. So I deploy 1 member of each non solo troop and it is also typically the musician. Also if you plan on holding back a solo for gating in purposes my guess is that you not include a card on the deployment initiative draws.

Yes, deployment is carried out via the Draw Deck. Check p. 26 of the cole rulebook (sorry, SN not here with me at the office, so I can't give you the page number there); 2nd column, first 3 paragraphs. Further, the Summoned SA states that summoned models add their cards to the draw deck the Turn after they are summoned. Therefore, prior to deployment, you will have to declare what troops you will be deploying, since it will determine how many initiative cards you will have in the Draw Deck to start.

Where this can get kind of fuzzy is the instance where you you deploy a Troop that has both summoned and unsummoned models, or if you have a troop entirely of summoned model, but choose to place just part of the troop during deployment. The rules do not specify that you must declare the models you will be deploying prior to the time you actually deploy that troop, so the argument could be made that if you had the last card of deployment, you could decide whether or not to deploy certain models of that troop if they had the Summoned SA.

~v

I don't see how it's fuzzy because all you're required to declare is how many troops are being deployed. After that you're only required to place 1 model in cases where the entire troop can be summoned.

Psyber, i dont have my book in front of me, so I dont have the exact wording to read, but I would think that if an entire troop or band can be summoned then none of the models from that troop or band would have to placed at all before the summoning. They would simply start with less cards in the deck. But, and again I dont have my book in front of me, from what I understand, once they are summoned, unless they were a solo model, they immediately become part of the summoning troop, therefore would not add any cards to the deck (unless a solo model). It would just be a huge troop at that point.

I don't see how it's fuzzy because all you're required to declare is how many troops are being deployed. After that you're only required to place 1 model in cases where the entire troop can be summoned.

It's never defined anywhere exactly when models that are not being placed on the table must be declared. As solos (and full troops of summoned models) can affect the card count in the draw deck, this forces a sort of declaration to happen before Deployment actually begins. I am inclined to agree that so long as you have the card in the deck, you can choose what you want to deploy from a troop. In fact, I'd go a step further and say that so long as you deploy the correct number of troops, you don't have to declare what troops you are deploying (assuming you have the potential for 2 or more summoned Troops)

~v

Edited by Shakandara

lol once again DC screws up the game. I guess as long as I show some level of sportsmanship in the process, anything will work.

@Shak, thanks for pointing out p 26. i re-read that section and am clear on it.

[ I am inclined to agree that so long as you have the card in the deck, you can choose what you want to deploy from a troop. In fact, I'd go a step further and say that so long as you deploy the correct number of troops, you don't have to declare what troops you are deploying (assuming you have the potential for 2 or more summoned Troops)

So, if you are intending to Summon a Solo/entire troop, are you suggesting that you still put their respective cards into the Deployment Draw deck?

Disregard, I misread a previous post......

Ok, even though I think you figured it out, I want to make the example a little more clear. Let's say you are playing the following list, using Conclave:

Darkspawn - 774 points

Troop 1

Guros, Baron of Whips

Maugrathoth, Demon

Demon Warrior x 4

Goatman Demon x 4

Troop 2

Demon Imp x 6

Troop 3

Marilith

Troop 4

Maladorn, Fire Demon

It comes time to create the Draw Deck for deployment, and you tell your opponent you are putting in 2 Cards in the Draw Deck. Since every model from every troop in the above list has the Summoned SA because of the Conclave doctrine, I can see where the argument can be made that you do not have to tell your opponent what you plan to deploy until it actually comes time to deploy your first card during the Deployment phase, at which point you'd only have to deploy one (or more) models from a single troop. Upon the appearance of your next card, you could then choose any one of the 3 remaining troops to deploy one (or more) models from another troop.

On the flip side, I can also see where it would be much like disclosing what equipment a model has on it before it is actually involved in any combat; the rules don't say you have to, but it is more of a gentlemen's agreement sort of thing.

~v

Hmm, I believe your sample army is not quite legal as there are more solos than leaders; one unit is a leaderless Band troop. (Clear on that rule.)

I'm guessing it was an oversight in the interest of making a point, which I did get.

For the most part I'm more interested in running a fairly mixed army so probably not as big an issue for me, but I do appreciate the clarifications and comments nonetheless.

Good catch; it is indeed not legal. And yes, it was an oversight in the interest of trying to get a list up quickly, but one I should have caught. I will firmly blame it on posting from the office, where I don't always have the time I'd like to proof my posts. :;):

~v