Sign in to follow this  
CrispyMerc

Crispy Greenskins

While finally starting to get my mercenaries in tip top shape, I decided it was time to switch to greenskins. Mainly because I miss my Kagunks. I have been shopping a bit of everything to support them. Kagunks & the giant looks really awesome.

This is the first list i've come up with.

2 troops with kagunks+some shooty/close support- A damage reduction solo & his giantfriend. 6 flying witchhunters(who I know is troublesome) and some speedbumb goblins.

I am considering putting goblins with one of the kagunks instead, as a cheap meatshield.

While I almost ended up with the army I started out with(mercs), I would like some sneaky input on greenskins that doesn't require too much shopping. I found out that moving a bit around on existing soldiers can do wonders. The secret to mercs seemed to be the smitespell, I don't know what the greenskins have to offer except totally awesome bigguys...

A thing I noticed was that harpies have 3attacks, so if they were mixed in with the regulars, they could be enraged having 3 mav6 attacks (excluding spells). Rerolling Tough on DS also seems cool with bigguys.

----800PTS

Troop 1

Luck Stone

Troop 2

Kagunk, Ogre

Gonda, Goblin

Orc Warrior

Orc Spearman

Goblin Skeeter

Bull Orc Archer

Troop 3

Kagunk, Ogre

Gnoll Archer

Orc Warrior x 2

Goblin Skeeter

Troop 4

Greka, Shaman

Troop 5

Hill Giant

Troop 6

Harpy x 6

Troop 7

Kak'Urg, Orc

Goblin Warrior x 6

---

Army 2: Magic heavier - less troops

Troop 1

Hill Giant

Troop 2

Greka, Shaman

Troop 3

Gnoll Archer

Kiakara, Queen of Khans, Bull Orc

Harpy x 3

Orc Warrior

Orc Spearman

Gonda, Goblin

Bull Orc Archer

Troop 4

Kagunk, Ogre

Goblin Warrior x 2

Orc Warrior

Harpy

Troop 5

Kagunk, Ogre

Goblin Warrior x 3

Harpy

Troop 6

Luck Stone

Suggestions for newbie greenskin

Well, I've never played as the Reven. But I've faced them on many occasions. Most notably against Quicksilver's Reven. We've got a longstanding rivalry. So, from an opponent's point of view:

Goblins really aren't as bad as they look. Honestly. I think many players, myself included, view their stats and think that they're just awful and will get steamrolled. But in actual play experience, I've got to say that I'm always spending more time and effort killing goblins than I think I'll need to, and I always suffer more losses fighting goblins than I think I will. So don't be afraid of including plenty of goblins.

The Hill Giant is a nightmare with big meaty limbs. There isn't much in the game that can stand toe to toe with it, and even when you send loads of models at it, the Hill Giant will still do quite well for itself.

Enrage is seriously awesome. More dwarves than I care to admit have fallen to crazed Reven Bull Orcs.

Buff-stacking is a Reven's best friend. Seriously consider using a Totem of Battle and try to get Bless into your army (Kiakara, Gonda). +1 or +2 will take even low-powered Reven models and boost them into super heroes.

Varaug with the Bonesplitter Axe is virtually unstoppable. Pair him up with Ombur Skulltooth and let the craziness begin. Just take a look down Ombur's spell list and drool over the possibilities. Fortunately for me, last time I faced the Reven my opponent was still only feeling out that combo, but it can be incredibly potent.

How about this one.. (I bought the kagunk t-shirt - I just cant help it)

Reven - 800 points

Troop 1

Kiakara, Queen of Khans, Bull Orc

Gonda, Goblin

Bull Orc Archer

Gnoll Archer

Harpy x 4

Bull Orc Berserker

Orc Spearman

Bonesplitter

Luck Stone

Troop 2

Kagunk, Ogre

Goblin Warrior x 3

Harpy

Troop 3

Kagunk, Ogre

Goblin Warrior x 3

Harpy

Troop 4

Hill Giant

Looks like it's got all the right things. I guess my only critique would be to put Gonda in one of the Kagunk troops. That way Kiakara can bless her troop and Gonda can bless his, and you can get two Blesses out in one turn. The way you have it, you're limited to one.

Your 1st troop really is pretty powerful. I like that you've combined magic, ranged and melee. I like the combination of a caster who can Bless and those Harpies with their many attacks. That's a great way to get plenty of mileage out of that buff.

I also like how you've mixed weaker, regular, and stronger models into your army. You've got the goblins and the Harpies, then you've got a smattering of Bull Orcs and Gnolls, then you've got Kiakara, the Kagunks and the Hill Giant. That's four pretty serious models and an opponent will have difficulty dealing with A) all 4 tough models while B) managing the numbers you've got. I think they'll find it difficult to effectively deal with all of that at once, and in my mind that's the biggest strength of this list. If they bring all of their heavy hitters to bear against the Hill Giant, Kiakara and the Kagunks can run rampant. And the opponent can't just bunch up their models into four strike teams, hope to take down your big tough models and carry the day, because you've got a horde of Reven that they need to deal with as well!

I'd have fun trying different approaches with this list - sending the soldiers on ahead of the big guys as a first wave to soften everything up while holding back Kiakara, Kagunk x 2, and Hill Giant and letting them bat cleanup; Sending the big guys in first to make a big hole and using your Reven to take advantage of the mess the big tough guys made; tossing the whole lot at them at once; holding just one of the big guys back and hoping for the opponent to lose everything capable of dealing with it by the late game.

Sounds good that I'm on the right track. Always had a softspot for greenskins. I probably move Gonada (and maybe find points for 1 more) to the kagunk(s). Just looked at the bless spell (havent used the tome before), and it looks like you also have +1 to your tough rolls :) awesome :)

Now it just needs testing. Hopefully it will spread terror in our gaminggroup :)

Yes, Bless adds +1 to all Rolls for models in the troop until their next activation, something that I occasionally forget when making Dis checks and the like between the time I cast it and activate the troop again.

~v

Tested the last list I made today against Overlords. It was totally brutal. Completely wiped the overlord player. Only thing that was a bit disapointing was the kagunks mediocre morale. I even forgot a lot of things, but the kagunk, giant and harpies completely made up for it. Enrage and the warlord abillity was so awesome.

I may look into some armour of courage for kagunks or perhaps musicians/familiar..but its really small stuff..these boys are nasty and much easier to use than mercs.