Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Shadows

Has anyone taken a regular mini & painted it up like a D&D Shadow??

Just curious on how it looked.

thanks

RM

Well... black, mostly.

Well yah ::P:

Just curious on a regular mini would look as a Shadow creature with the various shading & such. I mean yes they would be black but also some shading & such. What I'm getting at is I need shadows but don't care for my options in plastics right now, thou the Heroclix Shadow Thief alt is kinda looking like a neat option.....

One option, although very expensive, might be to check out the official D&D Character Token sets from Gale Force Nine - each one contains an "invisibility stand-in" (a flat clear plastic silhouette of the character that inserts into a base so it stands vertically on its own) for the character, which could be painted...

As for painting a regular mini, I think how it would look painted in various "shades" (pardon the pun) of black would depend greatly on the shape of the mini. Just off the top of my head, I'd think characters in action poses (particularly ones that give a sense of being in motion and "flowing") would work better, as well as characters wearing lots of cloth... Also, minis that have lots of little details - such as chainmail - probably aren't going to look as good, especially if the little details are what make the character "interesting" rather than the pose or the general silhouette of the character.

I think one of the big problems is going to be making the minis look "shadowy" rather than ghost-like...

There's an interesting thought... makes me want to get creative with Shrinky Dink sheets...

Shrinky Dinks.... Talk about a blast from the past....

I thought I saw something posted a while back, but gotta search for it. That's actually the concept I wanted for the Shadow Dragon, but haven't gotten around to painting it - yet.

Does this help? http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/IG_98_1.jpg Just did a quick search of the Inspiration Gallery, using "undead" as my search. Actual figure was painted by Jlem, not me.

~M

Try priming it in a gray color - not too bright of a gray, but it doesn't need to be super dark either - and then giving it a heavy wash with black? You'll get an overall black color with some variation in the coloring as the wash pools in different details? Maybe hit it with a very light drybrush of a gray shade (perhaps the original?) to pick out highlights after?

Just a follow up on this one, as the shadow(s) in my RCon game about offed the party's bard. I ended up using a couple of DDM of some sorta wight warrior raising a axe (I had 2 of them). With a little more time to prep I think I would have tried jdripley's idea. I like the idea of dark grey primer with shadows & such. Kinda of dark black & white movie effect.

RM