Drop 'em on a dime

blitz

I doubt allie tubing would be much different from plastic stubing.... probably a little stronger.

Blitz, how did you fasten the last hinge in on each side? My take on the plans is that each door is held in by the one in front (for'ard) of it, but the front ones, wouldn't they keep coming out. Or did you put another piece of tube and glue it on?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I did with mine is I just used a single inner axle, instead of one per door. That way I can pull the inner axle and paint/decal the doors, after I've finished construction.

Construction is finished on mine, by the way, and I can really only see it carrying 8 CAVs. I was going to add space for aircraft or infantry, but really, there's not that much room even for engine, the way it is.

will you bring it next weekend for those of us who haven't built it yet to enjoy?

cbs :)

Oh heck yeah. Hopefully I'll have it ALL finished by then.

I wonder if it would be a breach of Black-Lightning Unwritten Law to use GW weapons and bits on it. I've got an Eldar Large Gun sitting around, and lots of Imperial Cruiser bits from BFG that could be FA-45 ports or something.

What BL law of not using GW bits?!?!? That's 99% of the bits I can get hold of un-usable then :o)

Frosch, do you think you could modify the bays themselves to carry APC's or gunships? Perhaps by adding an additional level half way up the bay.

Granted it'd make it impossible to get CAV's in there but I think it might be worth doing (at least in fluff) to get a single section of CAV's, a section of mechanised infantry (possibly two, the bays look wide enough for two APC's side by side) and a section of aircraft.

That'd be a nasty surprise, especially if you're expecting to see two sections of CAV's :o)

What I did with mine is I just used a single inner axle, instead of one per door. That way I can pull the inner axle and paint/decal the doors, after I've finished construction.

Oooh, I like that idea. Definitely adding that to the Herc2.0 list...

Btw, making the Herc carry gunships is up to you, but I have to say I don't think it's very realistic, unless you completely ignore scale. Most gunships to scale would be over 4" long, so a radically modified Herc could carry maybe one section of gunships.

Something tells my inner fluff demon that most of the gunships / air capable apc's would be capable of making atmospheric entry on their own instead of as part of another lander's internal contingent of troops.

Isn't the real purpose of a dropship to allow rapid airborne deployment of resources that aren't already inherently capable of rapid airborne deployment?

It just seems like a non-sequitor to me that you'd need a dropship to deploy aircraft. . .

That's what I was thinking Frosch, but wanted to make sure with someone who'd built theirs yet.

Blitz, since you've actually got the CAV's inside your model then it has to be in scale, but I'd have thought a dropship would be in the same vane as gunships.... it's scaled down to make it purchasable/feasible :o) Just my personal take anyway.

Erion, I tend to agree with you there.... and if not you can probably 'fluff up' a booster pack which goes over the atmosphereic engines of a gunship to give it orbital capability. The air capable APC's in the JoR2 are definately capable of orbital insertion, so perhaps infantry isn't a worry.