Questions from a beginner - Where to start?

Well, I contacted Reaper customer service about the brushes, and they told me that the "Sri Lanka" brushes I have are in fact the correct ones for the kit, and that the higher quality brushes are not supposed to be in the beginning kits. Kind of a bummer, because the brushes really are crap. It's not just that they don't hold a point, they don't even have a point to hold!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very surprising and disappointing. ::(: What's really odd to me is that many of the kits I bought (about four years back, I'd say) came with Reaper's usual synthetic red-handled brushes which are of reasonable quality. Putting those inferior brushes in the kits makes Reaper look unprofessional IMHO.

Winsor & Newton Brush Cleaner and Restorer

(IIRC, this is only available in the US.) Try to keep it off of everything but the hairs; it will strip the lacquer from the handle if you let it soak.

I buy it in Canada too, at any Michael's, WalMart, etc. A good soak in this stuff will dissolve paint stuck in your ferrule really well; just don't dip them too deep. Make sure you wash it all out before you paint again as well...

Kang

I got a tip for beginners: Starter sets come with plenty of colorful paints, and there's a certain tendency to stock up with lots of vivid, dramatic colors. But between straps, hats, boots, bags, hair, mud, and anything made out of wood, it pays to have a large variety of browns.

Zach

I got a tip for beginners: Starter sets come with plenty of colorful paints, and there's a certain tendency to stock up with lots of vivid, dramatic colors. But between straps, hats, boots, bags, hair, mud, and anything made out of wood, it pays to have a large variety of browns.

Zach

That's one thing I liked about this particular kit, there were three different browns to get started with (Blackened Brown, Oiled Leather, and Ruddy Leather).

That's one thing I liked about this particular kit, there were three different browns to get started with (Blackened Brown, Oiled Leather, and Ruddy Leather).

Those are three of my favorite browns. Good ones to be included in that set for sure. The only one missing is Walnut Brown :upside:

Another good lesson, which I have just now learned the hard way- in games that require the wee dollies to stand in regiments such as Warhammer fantasy, always assemble the command dollies last. This is necessary because it is relatively easy to assemble the ordinary figures so that they stand in formation whatever order one puts the figures in. However, if one assembles the command unit figures first, which because of things like banners need to be positioned differently from the rest of the dollies in the unit, it demands that the rest of the entire unit be assembled around the two or three command units. This means that one must usually line up the figures in a particular order, which is a huge hassle when it comes time to actually put them on the table and play.

Zach