02939 Viking Girl

cookjimjr

Here is my latest. I finally got to paint one for myself. I may or may not sell this one, but for now she'll sit on my shelf so I enjoy the paint job for a while. This might be some of my best NMM, but I still need a lot more practice.

I painted her with war paint around her eyes to give her more of a Barbarian look.

The free hand worked out better than I thought it would and I think the colors work well with the scheme. The fur looks like I might need to shade it some more on the bottom edges, but still looks OK for a gaming piece.

Comments and Critique always welcome.

post-6227-13056054062196.jpg

post-6227-13056054249536.jpg

post-6227-13056054328954.jpg

post-6227-13056054456763.jpg

post-6227-1305605454466.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicely done. I like how you filled in the details on her and your brushwork is very nice. I think the hair looks good. Not fond of the black cloak, I think it's too harsh, would have gone with brown myself. But hey, it's your model. :)

Not trying to take anything away from the paint job which is really nice, but she reads more indian to me than viking. I think its the black mask across the face and the pattern on the cloak that are doing that to me.

First off, I want to thank everyone for the nice comments. I am glad she was well received. I was inspired by the Conan movie for the face paint. Not that I think of her as a thief as Conan was portrayed in that movie. She was one of the first 5 minis I purchased last year, but I wanted to wait until my skills had improved to paint her. The wolf shield and sword drew me to this mini. I do love wolves.

Nicely done. I like how you filled in the details on her and your brushwork is very nice. I think the hair looks good. Not fond of the black cloak, I think it's too harsh, would have gone with brown myself. But hey, it's your model. :)

Inarah - The Black Cloak is actually dark grey with black shading and lighter grey highlights. I was thinking of a dark grey wolf when I chose the colors and the free hand of white and red I chose to tie in with the shield.

Not trying to take anything away from the paint job which is really nice, but she reads more Indian to me than viking. I think its the black mask across the face and the pattern on the cloak that are doing that to me.

Heisler - You could be correct about the cloak free hand looking Indian. I really did not think it through too much. I just put paint to mini and let the vision come to me as it flowed. Basically I was thinking Germanic Barbarian Tribal scheme rather than Viking. The colors were my focus though, so I may have let a little to much Colorado western idealism get in there. As explained above the face paint was inspired by another Barbarian; Conan. I did not see that as Indian, but now that I think about it, there were tribes that used that type of war paint to inspire fear. I guess that works for her as well though.