T'raukzul's wings

TKD

Attention, folks who have built T'raukzul.

Is it just mine, or do his wings fit very loosely in the sockets? Mine fit either flush agains the body on top, or on the bottom, but not both. I'm trying to figure out if trimming some of the post will help this before I "glue" it in.* I do not want to cut the posts short if this is not going to help, as I want to avoid pinning the mini if I can help it.

* I assemble my big minis purely with greenstuff as the glue. Works great, and saves me a step of glueing and then greenstuffing the cracks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While you're saving yourself time, you're not really doing yourself any favors. I'd pin those wings on that bad boy, personally. I even pinned the wings on one of the pegasai (the one rearing up) because it could easily tip over and before I did so it was constantly breaking one wing or the other off.

I haven't seen Big T in person, but I'd still do the pinning, especially if there are gaps.

While you're saving yourself time, you're not really doing yourself any favors.

It isn't time I am worried about with pinning. Pinning is not the issue - it is posts of the wings. If they are shorter, will the wings fit flush? If so, I'll cut them. If not, I'll leave them and fill the gaps myself.

Green Stuff and no pinning works fine for big minis for me, it is just a question of how much. Right now, it looks like I'm going to need a *lot* for T'raukzul's wings.

@TKD: My T'raukzul was a (relatively) tight fit all over.

Okay, so mine might just have shallow sockets or long pegs on the wings. Everything else fit fairly snugly.

I just cut 3-4mm off each wing's peg and they fit very nicely now - flush against the body on top and bottom. Excellent. Thanks.

You haven't had any problems with unpinned minis breaking over time?  I'm surprised.

My big minis have no problems with breakage despite a lack of pinning. Most of them have big sockets and big pegs to fit in the sockets. A piece of wire isn't going to do much to help if something mounted with a 1 cm intergal peg isn't enough.

With small minis, especially weapons, I pin like crazy. With mid-sized joints, I pin if it seems useful (i.e. like the piece to be pinned will be subject to stress or shear). I pin because there is little strength to the join, unlike the big pieces.

The "Big" minis I have done without pinning include T'raukzul, a Giant Scorpion, my Hundred Kingdoms Giant Gor, a GW Demon of Nurgle (big guy, but big joins that take glue well), and a lot of SJG Ogres (two each of III, IV, V, VI, and one Fencer and one III-B). Some are epoxy, the rest are green stuff used basically as glue (it works fine - fill it in, squeeze in the parts, and trim the extra - and texture the gap).

No breakage yet, although I have yet to deliberately drop any to see if they'll hold up - all of those minis are painted or have delicate parts that will suffer terribly in a test.

I had the same problem with my Gauth dragon model.  I glued the wings so the posts were flush with the top of the dragon so as to get the wings more vertical and over the dragon's body to reduce the torque they would have on the joint from being out to the side too much thus preventing the wings from falling out.  Then I stuffed in the green stuff underneath to support the wings.  Haven't had any problems with the model falling apart yet.