"Halfling Noir": 03439 Dicarus Darksword + 02889 Dire Rats

dks

I was at Reaper last week for ReaperCon, and I wanted to paint a figure that wasn't already in the company's collection of painted figures. Using a powerful program developed by Reaper's I.T. simian, All-Terrain Monkey, I was able to see how the top-100-selling figures were represented in the Inspiration Gallery. To my surprise, the tiny halfling archer Dicarus Darksword didn't have any painted pictures! This situation had to change.

To counter the notion that Dicarus can serve only as comic relief, I made a little scene to show how dangerous he is. Two rats from the pack of 4 Dire Rats made suitable victims. I removed and resculpted their rear legs and tails for better "dead" poses (the one already had its hands curled up), I made arrows out of wire and putty, and I strung the bow with a hair. A simple paint scheme, monochrome except for the red blood, gives the scene a bit of film-noir drama or perhaps "Sin City" flair. Who knew (aside from Bobby Jackson himself) that he had an eyepatch and a soulpatch, and a skull-shaped clasp for his cloak?

This piece won a Gold award in the Masterclass category at KublaCon last weekend.

Enjoy,

Derek

post-2358-13069883067557_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually purchased this mini, and he's on my long queue of figures to eventually paint, so you'll see another one in the Inspiration Gallery eventually.

Any chance you could share the results of your gallery search? I'd be interested to see that.

Anyway, your version here is really fantastic! I didn't know he had an eye patch, either. Of course the geek in my immediately asked how can an archer can properly evaluate depth with only one eye, but then the artist in me kicked the geek and said, "it just looks cool! Don't overthink it!"

This was a great piece for monochrome, especially with the blood as the only flash of color. The stance of the mini also really lends itself to the scene you've created, which isn't always the case when painters base their figures.

Painting monochrome would probably drive me crazy, though, because I love playing with color. I doubt I'll ever give it a go, just because I don't think I'd enjoy it. Who knows, though?

Of course your sculpted additions and conversions are perfect, and the shades, highlights, and blends are spot on. Lovely work, Derek, as always, and thanks for posting! I really like this one!

Derek,

Again, your monochrome work is supurb. I had to do a double take a few times to assure myself this was not a painting in a book or something like that. All the little extras in this piece are what make this stand out for me and congratulations on the Gold - It deserved it every bit.

I too have been looking at minis there is little or no representation for. Especially in the figure finder. As an example: I was suprised that there was only one painted version of the Master Series, Jonas Kane,30008 on the reaper site.

I do not have to tell you to keep up the good work, because everything you do is fantastic.

Outstanding, it has a very Ralph bakshi feel to it IMO. I have alawys wanted to try a monochrome but could never figure out how

Maybe that needs to be a class for next ReaperCon/ArtistCon! :)

It has been a class at ReaperCon in the past.

Outstanding, it has a very Ralph bakshi feel to it IMO. I have alawys wanted to try a monochrome but could never figure out how

Maybe that needs to be a class for next ReaperCon/ArtistCon! :)

It has been a class at ReaperCon in the past.

And maybe when I am actually able to attend RCon it will be again