GW review I found amusing

dargrin

So I am not outright bashing GW. If I so chose I could do this just about anywhere but since everyone is starting to steer clear of metals (most likely because of cost) I though I would share here as well.

Warning there is some "language" with the review.

Don't leave finecast in the sun

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miniature gaming is an industry in decline for the forseeable future.

Don't know as I agree with that.

I'm seeing more miniatures games being played in public venues now than I was ten years ago, and even ten years ago, it was more than it had been ten years before that. True, I'm seeing more plastic miniatures, and more prepaints, but I'm also seeing more people painting and fielding their own minis now than I did back in the day.

I'm going to agree with Dr Bedlam on this one. GW may find itself in decline with the introduction of their Finecast line, but the number of manufacturers is going up rather than down. The variety of minis available for any given historical period is going way up especially with the introduction of 28mm plastics. So other than GWs total misread of the market I think we are actually in a pretty happy place right now. Granted we are in a recession but its also periods like this when spare dollars get turned more towards hobbies than resteraunts and other one shot forms of entertainment and the internet has made a lot of small company miniatures very accessible to the average Joe.

I am inclined to agree with Heisler. I was once very enthusiastic about GW's products and games, and they have in the past produced many, many fine products. I do take a difference with them as far as quite a few of their business decisions in recent years, as well as their retailing and marketing strategies, and in the past decade, I have been inclined to vote with my wallet -- aside from the Space Hulk reissue, I haven't bought any GW products in years.

This does not mean I haven't been gaming with miniatures; far from it. It simply means I have taken issue with one company.

It also makes me ponder the secondary market. Last Reapercon, as I combed the Adoption Table for old minis, I found myself thinking about the HUGE number of GW miniatures there... and about GW's alleged decision to quit making metal minis, going entirely to plastics... and the effect this will have on collectors. Will there erupt a huge backlash, a price jump for old GW product? And how will GW deal with this?

Thanks for the post. It makes me wonder how Finecast would hold up in those black transport cases in a hot car....

I have to agree with Dr Bedlam about gaming - it's more popular now that it was 10 years ago. However, locally, it's difficult to find a good/varied stock of miniatures at any FLGS. Part of this is budget restrictions on restock orders, but some of it is managerial preference.

I also have to say that, at least for me, GW has priced themselves out of the market. The Finecast resin figures are more expensive than the same ones in metal. I'm not bashing on GW, because I already bought the metal figures before the Finecast line was a concept. However, like many others, I'm having to watch how much I spend.

~M

Seen a in depth review on some store bought Finecast minis & wow, what a nasty piece of plastic. I hate to be the guy that bought those. Heck I even posted on the guy's photo site that I felt for him as he bought allot. A couple box sets, a few singles & some other stuff. While Aaron Lovejoy posted some figs on Facebook that looked really good I was surprised to see that guy's stuff. Pits/holes in areas. Details not even visible, pour marks (not the sprue attachment points). Overall a "s--err crappy" job by GW. I was hoping to pick up a few Skaven in Finecast just to see what they are like but after seeing that guy's pics I'm gonna hold off for awhile on them.

My very first resin model is the Ork Wagon from Armor Cast. I never have the chance to assemble it but all the parts still look brand new after 20 years. GW's resin products have nowhere close in quality in comparison.

I don't see how the mini games industry could be in decline. It seems every year or two a new game comes out that changes how we think abouit games. If anything, the industry needs to hold steady so we can catch up as gamers/collectors/hobbyists.

GW's problems are self-inflicted and well documented. Instead, we should celebrate the overflowing cup of diversity in games. Currently I have minis for (deep breath) Warlord (Darkspawn), Hordesmachine (Skorne, Legion, Mercs), Malifaux (Neverborn), Infinity (Yu Jing), hey I even have WarhammerFantasy (Dark Elves) and 40k (Tau). And I know people who have stuff for other games as well, not to mention games that never took off. Like I said, the cup overfloweth.

It's an interesting education, reading over White Dwarf magazine over the past three decades. GW went from a small, feisty company, deeply embedded in the hobby and the love of the game, to a marketing-driven sales machine determined to use every facet of Modern Business Savvy to maximize sales and profit.

Is this illegal? Far from it. Is this even morally wrong? Not really; it's not like they're hiding anything. But it ain't good public relations. And in a niche business like this, squeezing one's customer base in the knowledge that "there will always be more and younger gamers coming up to take their place" is not necessarily the best approach.

I don't know as they're harming the hobby; I don't know anyone that's sworn off miniatures gaming out of being angry with GW. But I am inclined to think that their way of doing business -- both with the consumer, and with the retailers that distribute their product -- is going to come back and bite them in the bahonkus at SOME point...

Eh I guess it depends on how we define hurting the hobby.

I look at it more as how a person from "outside" the hobby would perceive things and how it effects the possibilities of new customers.

I picture it like this:

A noob walks into the LGS. Maybe a friend of a friend, someone that has seen or heard someone else playing these games somewhere, maybe a girlfriend, mommy looking for something snazzy ... whatever .... then walking over to the gaming section. What do they see first?

I'm sure every store is different, but the majority of the ones I have seen have a massive selection of Warhammer or Warhammer40k.

They check it out and see the prices. Youch!

Starter at 120?

Rulebook 75?

WHHHaaaaaaTTttt!!?!

Its a tough sell for any store to start a new player on the stuff. I can see a first impression on the hobby in general making people just want to walk away entirely.

This is just the price points. Lots of other things GW has been doing lately that doesn't help their current player base in the slightest. I read this tid bit of information today .. another brilliant idea of GW marketing. Taken from article on Bell of Lost Souls:

Word has been out there for about a month that GW is changing their marketing policy to make it easier for stores to sell current product. Here's what the scuttlbutt is about:

The basic gist is that there will be a pull back from the upcoming product information Games Workshop has been providing over the last few quarters. Pretty much nobody at the retail/customer level will get any word on upcoming releases until 1 week before product hits shelves. This means:

-No more "coming soon" emails to customers.

-Black Boxes are said to still be shipping, but will only be opened the day or, or immediately before the minis are publically available.

-The most advanced lead time or hints as to upcoming products will be the last page teaser in White Dwarf.

It might make sense to them ... it just doesn't make sense to me.

Being ia a Bell of Lost Souls writer we talk about this all the time. The problem is we're seeing a hobby split right now. People who win tournaments aren't buying product.and those who aren't winning are cash strapped to the point they are looking to play other games. For example Privateer's models are more expensive the difference is you will only ever buy most of their models once. The problem faced by GW is last months prices jumped from 25%-50%. The smart money is on the$50 box intro army. One time character models can be priced a little higher. Finecast's legacy may be that it might be the straw that breaks tje GW market dominance back. I don't say this lightly but inferior product at a higher price only hurts in the long run.

BumbleB as for that article you quoted that is GW screwing us at BoLS because American media laws prevent them from suing us for talking about their product. They hate us so much because we make their direct marketing and preview market irrelevant. Trust me when I say this has nothing to do with sales and everything to do with us.