Sign in to follow this  
Tiger

Warlord description

You know, now that you guys mention it, I do have a great confrontation army collection from before its manufacturer totally f*cked up the game.

But I can't really imagine reaper being pleased with me not supporting them and using someone else's models. :wacko:

You know, now that you guys mention it, I do have a great confrontation army collection from before its manufacturer totally f*cked up the game.

But I can't really imagine reaper being pleased with me not supporting them and using someone else's models. wacko.gif

If it gets you started and playing the game, then I say go for it. You're buying the rulebook to start with. dry.gif Just think about replacing the minis as you can with Reaper ones. biggrin.gif

What you do in the confines of your own home is your business. The game is such that you could play it with colored rocks, if you really WANTED to. And as mentioned earlier, some of the units in the game don't HAVE official sculpts yet.

You're not going to have trouble without the Reaper minis unless you intend to play in tournaments... and even then, proxying is likely to happen. Hell, even at Reapercon, the rules were "proxies must be Reaper figures. Precisely WHICH Reaper figures, well, just let us know what's what." If I recall correctly, the "best painted army" winner was a player who fielded an Icingstead army... proxied entirely with mouselings!

(z)OMGOMGOMG!!! Thank you for the Miniature-Heroes.co.uk link! I can't believe somebody in the UK is finally gearing up to sell Reaper products! Ok, they appear to have almost no stock at the moment :down: , but hopefully that will change. This is beyond exciting to me because I have really missed playing Warlord and - especially - painting with Master Series Paints since moving to the UK from the US 2 years ago.

I actually just (randomly?) stopped by the Reaper forums to see if Warlord was still alive and kicking - and am very pleased to see that it's still going. Nobody that I've met in wargaming clubs in the UK has ever heard of it, so I've left literally hundreds of my Reaper minis sitting in a box back in the States in case there should ever be a reason to ship it over. Once Miniature-Heroes.co.uk gets some stock, I fully intend to ship over my Overlord, Elven, and Dwarven armies to begin converting locals to the cause. Ok - I've since majorly invested in Warmachine (which is big here - and I admit, I really enjoy it), and tooled around with Malifaux (also has a stable following, but hasn't hooked me) but Warlord has a big place in my affections and I'd go back to it in a heartbeat.

Also - Privateer Press and Vallejo are about to lose a lot of money to my painting hobby. With MSP available in the UK - those other paints, decent as they are, are going to the back row and staying there! Absolutely nothing compares to MSP, IMO.

Cheers, ladies and gents!

(z)OMGOMGOMG!!! Thank you for the Miniature-Heroes.co.uklink! I can't believe somebody in the UK is finally gearing up to sell Reaper products! Ok, they appear to have almost no stock at the moment :down: , but hopefully that will change. This is beyond exciting to me because I have really missed playing Warlord and - especially - painting with Master Series Paints since moving to the UK from the US 2 years ago.

I'm trying with the stock levels but things are a bit different in the UK to the US, and I'm only a tiny company.

The stock levels are low due to a threefold reason I will try and explain below.

Firstly its money. I haven't got the cash to order stock in big volumes of miniatures. Reaper are fantastic to deal with and are really supportive of their retailers. However the UK goverment isn't. So every order I give to Reaper, I have to make sure I keep enough money back to pay for the UK customs charge of VAT at 20%. Then the uk delivery company, Parcelforce, charges another £ 8.00 for sorting this out and delivering the package. This limits the money I would normally have to re-invest in more stock.

Second is storage room. I'm not a bricks and mortar store. Everything is run from Bossco Towers and all the stock has to be kept inside to make sure it stays in the best possible condition. This limits the physical space I have for keeping ranges.

Lastly is the UK tax system. At the end of every financial year I have to pay income tax. Stock held at that point is classed as an asset and is therefore taxable. The more stock I hold the more tax I pay. The more tax I pay, the less money I have. Its the same for every UK business but for a very small company like me it does mean walking a tightrope.

I am working on stocking more Reaper paints. The stock of Triads is slowly growing but again its as sales allow.

Warlord is a great game, and deserves a wider audience in the UK and Europe. I would say Warmachine is the game of choice for the more mature gamer at the moment. Warhammer and 40K capture the young end of the market with a strangle hold. GW might currently be reversing up its own backside with finecast etc but that is nothing compared to the zealous way it trys to control its market. Most young wargamers in the uk, say the 12 to 22 age group don't actually know there is anything else other than GW. GW won't allow a mention of anything else within their shops. White Dwarf is the only gaming mag in the country, and its little more than a GW catalogue. The situation is a difficult nut to crack for a company outside the UK.

Grenadier had the same problem back in the 80's, and solved it by opening British Grenadier and manufacturing here. The trouble was it was difficult to keep overall control over two companies on different sides of the Atlantic and they both ended up pulling in different directions.

Warlord needs more exposure, but apart from Portal ezine I can't think of a source that can do it.

Tim

Recently played a few test games and a few things stood out.

1. The RAGE d10 system keeps things rolling along at a good pace... None of this "roll attack roll" then "roll damage roll". For this alone I love RAGE.

2. The troop initiative sytem is pretyy nice. Not getting steamrolled by three different units makes things a bit more tactical. Oddly enough, it also makes me think Malifaux got their system wrong, and I love Malifaux.

3. After a lot of proxies, we each played 3 games with 3 vastly different armies, and nothing really seemed to be a bad choice as far a army comp went. Were there better choices, probably, but none really seemed to be bad.

4. The magic system is pretty sweet. It has enough usefulness without being overly game-changing due to the various limitations (one spell per turn, limited spell points).

Taking what we learned, I know I am going to start pushing the game locally. The fun doesn't end after army-building, which is how it should be.

Thanks for your response Tim. You've probably noticed by now that I've also signed up your forums under the name "Jonny Tenebrous".

For anybody in the UK (or EU) who is interested in Warlord, Tim has started a thread at the Miniature Heroes.co.uk Forum dedicated to Warlord right HERE. I've weighed in already with my (very positive) thoughts on the matter, but am keen to share my experience and discuss it further with anybody who is interested.

Now, if only Reaper needed a Rep / BL in the UK... :;):

Indeed I have and very please to see your latest indepth post on Warlord. For my part I've posted the question, 'Do you play Warlord', on a few Uk and EU forums. Sadly I think the result is best illistrated by a picture posted on Frothers of a tumble weed being blown across a barren plain.

Practically no UK or EU players. A few say they've heard of it, and I have sold a few rulebooks so it must be happening somewhere. However its not getting the attention it deserves.