Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Bedlam

Painful Lessons in Modeling

Is there really anyone on this forum who HASN'T had a nasty X-Acto cut? I know I have ended up with stitches twice due to those stupid things.

Also had an unfortunate coping saw incident where I took out a bunch of finger nail and flesh. A coping saw cut is not nice and clean.

I have never cut myself with an Xacto knife.

I have cut myself (multiple times with some) with an 8" Santoku knife, 8" Chef's Knife, Carver, Electric Knife, a 4" paring knife, multiple drill bits, a length of spring steel piercing my finger, pneumatic staplers, electric screwdriver bit, pocket knives, chisels, pieces of cut metal, hand saw, string trimmer, box cutter, utility knives.

Never with an Xacto knife.

I think I need to replace all my tools and kitchen blades with Xacto products :lol:

The most painful was the pneumatic stapler when I caught the webbing between my thumb and index finger of my left hand when I was building a frame in college. 3/4" staple pinned my hand to the 2x4. The actual stapling part didn't hurt. It was getting my hand removed from the board.

My mom had a bunch of extra money in her medical spending account 2 years ago and at Christmas asked my wife and I what, if anything, we could use. My wife and my brother both shouted GAUZE! BANDAIDS! SURGICAL TAPE!

A buddy of mine relates a story where he accidentally spilled some superglue on his workbench. It sat there without drying for quite some time. He didn't notice it. Eventually, he finished prepping the item he was working on, and braced his hands against the edge of the bench to steady them while he painted. Some ten minutes later, he realized his wrists were now glued to the edge of his workbench.

He pulled one arm free, and immediately regretted it. He then shouted for help until someone brought him some acetone to free the other wrist, and some gauze for his torn right wrist...

I've cut myself too many times to count with my X-acto knife, tho luckily I haven't done it in years now. At one time I was wearing Bandaids on at least three fingers of each hand because of stubbornness and stupidity.

I recently had a superglue mishap that resulted in my clogged bottle suddenly clearing itself and barfing superglue all over both of my hands. This is why I keep a bottle of Uncure handy.

I have a scar on my forearm from where a jealous classmate branded me with a white hot welding rod while trying to distract me from running a perfect bead and thereby showing up every male in the vicinity.

I once caught my acrylic encased fingernail in the "peg board" metal border around a pillar at work, while walking past said pillar, and snapped the acrylic - and my real nail - halfway down the nailbed. It didn't snap off the nail, just split both the acrylic and nail, so I had a nasty gash horizontal across the middle of my fingernail. Luckily I had just clocked out and was on my way home, so wrapped the bloody mess in a tissue and drove right home. (I lived 5 minutes from work.) Once home, I filled the wound with superglue, clamped my teeth, and pressed the wound shut. Superglue works, but it HURTS.

Recently, while trying to figure out what was blocking the line for the waterfall in the fish pond, I reached into the murky water to find said line, and sliced my finger open on something my late grandfather had used to cobble it together. I still don't know what it is, but it's razor sharp.

Last week I pulled off the ultimate in stupidity. I was fixing dinner for my dad, and had decided to make a salad. While holding an avocado in my hand to cut it, I managed to slice open the joint of my left pinky finger. At least I'd already cut the tomatoes, and I managed NOT to bleed all over the salad....

As for Dremel accidents... I decided to play it smart and safe. I always use eye protection and a dust mask. So far I haven't had anything go wrong - other than perfectly resculpting the bottoms of my flesh golem's feet only to realize that no one's going to see them once he's secured to his new base.

~M

Never cut myself with an Exacto knife, but stabbed my kid once (accidentally), and a few weekends ago I was stupid enough to try to remove the super glue lid with my teeth when I couldn't get it to move with my fingers. Not too much superglue, just enough to keep having to work it off from the roof of my mouth with my tongue after it dried.

I think Lanse's picture needs to be on the Hobbies: Safeties & other precautions poster :B):

When I was little I drove a x-acto knife (blade of course) into my inner thigh, near my left knee. For some reason it was on the floor didn't see it & scooted right in to it. Needless to say it hurt like hell & I've got the scar to prove it!

FWIW I know a guy who once nearly took all his toes off with a manual post-hole digger. Talk about painful..yowch!

I have also never managed to cut myself with an X-acto knife, but I have with just about any other bladed or sharp object, including just last weekend, a pair of tweezers which I managed to slice the outside of my thumb with. Don't ask. :-P

I have a kitchen knife that always demands a blood sacrifice every time I have used it.

This is all the more amusing because I collect bladed weapons....go figure.

I did something similar to that in high school, for a wood carving project in shop...

And again as an adult, trying to get a leatherman multi tool closed....

And one more time the week before my wedding, with a 8" chef's knife.... "Honey, I'm going to drive myself to the emergency room..." (they almost didn't let me cut my own wedding cake at this point)

and she still hears about it occasionally.

I have had my share of X-Acto cuts (it's not a conversion until you bleed on it)and gluing my fingers to minis and each other. I even put a sewing machine needle through the side of my finger once. I wear eye protection with my Dremel and stay away from cutting wheels. But I have never managed to injure myself with a needle file. I guess you are just uniquely talented Rastl. :lol:

Like Flit said, it's not a conversion until you bleed on it - hell, when I first started painting when I was fifteen I actually used to prick my finger and dip the weapons in it because I thought they looked cool with real blood on them, lol.

In my twenty-odd years of painting, I've ingested enough lead (mostly by stabbing it so deep into my flesh I can't find it anymore) to be able to pour paint over my head and enter myself in the painting contest at Reapercon - I am at least 80% Reaper content by now... ::D:

X-acto cuts? My fingerprints don't have loops and whorls on them anymore, they have a cross-hatched waffle pattern. I've also spent several years now working as a sheet metal press operator (and a brief stint packing sheets of paper Valvoline Oil labels at a printing place), so I've got more sharp-object and industrial papercut scars on my hands and arms than I can count. Half the time, I don't even know I've been cut until I actually see blood.

In no particular order of chronology or pain/entertainment factor...

- I once put a boxcutter full-depth into the inside of my right forearm.

- I once put a Testors hobby knife full-depth into the end of my right ring finger, sliding it in parallel to the bone. Two decades later the scar is gone but I still have a quarter-inch circular area on the end of my finger with almost no sensitivity at all.

- While building my Hellboy costume I used my Dremel to drill through some aluminum sheeting while holding it to the frame and then nailed it on, only realizing afterward that (somehow managing to miss my flesh) I'd drilled a hole through my thumbnail, put the nail through it, and nailed it to the wood... Still not sure how that happened.

- I've Dremeled myself more times than I can count, with everything from cutting wheels to diamond-tipped grinders. My thumbnail (and a bit of adjacent skin) has a permanent groove in it from where I ground a line across it with an engraving bit.

- When I was a teenager I used to paint sitting cross-legged on my bed using a tv tray as a painting table. I was wearing shorts and spilled superglue all down the inside of my leg. Yes, folks, I actually managed to glue the left one of those to my leg... :blink:

- I've glued my fingers to each other, to the table, to a paper towel (I ended up just ripping off the excess towel and spending the next two days looking like I was wearing a white glove), and to about five dozen minis: One time I glued one of my sculpting picks to my hands and then accidentally stabbed myself multiple times trying to remove it.

- I've sewed my fingers to clothing I was making.

- I usually use saliva to lubricate my sculpting tools, which has resulted in stabbing myself in the tongue and lips multiple times. I tried using skin oil before that by rubbing it on my nose, but stabbed myself pretty good so I stopped.

- I almost sliced off the pad of my right middle fingertip at work one time, trying to put a bolt back into a gate on one of those long belts with all the little roller wheels on them. Instead of falling down the gate fell back toward me and my finger got caught inbetween the two parts like a pair of scissors. I have a nice horseshoe-shaped scar around the pad of my finger, and had to relearn to play my Irish whistle because the big ol' groove goes right through the part of my fingertip that covers the hole in the whistle.

Hmm, aside from burning myself a fair number of time from grinding things too long or dripping hot solder on myself, that's all I can remember off the top of my head..

• Like 1

I'll add a couple...

While making a bed for one of my kids dolls I was using a coping saw to cut a notched end rail, cutting into the grain of a flat 1/4 inch thick wood slat. Had to put a bit of pressure to make the cut and it sort of broke free when I got to the end of the cut, popped up and into my left thumb. Looking down at your thumb it's on the right side, 45 degree angle just below the knuckle, half-inch scar. Then while making another, identical bed the following year, did the same thing, making the same part, only this time I landed the blad right across the center of the knuckle. Could bend my thumb and see things moving inside :blink: . Almost made a continuous scar, but there is 1/16th of an inch or so between them.

- When I was a teenager I used to paint sitting cross-legged on my bed using a tv tray as a painting table. I was wearing shorts and spilled superglue all down the inside of my leg. Yes, folks, I actually managed to glue the left one of those to my leg... :blink:

We have a winner. Talk about gluing bits!!! Aaaaah!!!!

We have a winner. Talk about gluing bits!!! Aaaaah!!!!

Ya was thinking the same thing ..... I actually had to debate whether I would rather take superglue to the eye instead of this .... oi