Sign in to follow this  
Duliniel

Wildling Warrior

Just finished this guy up for the Dark Sword competition over on the WAMP forum. Pretty happy with him, just gotta find some different snow. This GW stuff looks OK to the naked eye, but just looks like white fibers when blown up in a photograph. Any suggestions? I've thought about baking soda, but I'm afraid it could get icky in this Houston humidity.

post-2886-13091754519985.jpg

post-2886-13091754628927.jpg

post-2886-1309175472717.jpg

• Like 1

Mix water and PVA glue, bout 50/50 ratio, then slowly add the snow flock until its nice and thick. Once its dry it will hold its shape much better and be smoother, but still nice, white and thick.

lovely work on this...I have a mini I am doing at the moment with a very similar color blue as you used there. I like the contrast on this one...it really pops. The snow is a little bit "off". I used the GW flock once and hated it, but did not mix it with anything, so can't attest to how it looks using the above method. I use baking soda and PVA glue for my snow.

The GW snow is the same as Woodland Scenics snow. WS recommends that to achieve a deep snow look use flex paste and sprinkle the snow on top.before it dries. My feeling is you can sculpt deep snow with putty paint it white and using a clear adhesive achieve the same effect.

While I haven't tried this myself yet (just got snow flocking recently), I've heard that a mix of baking soda and snow flock in white glue and a bit of water is the trick. Based on my experiences with baking soda/glue/water alone, I think the mix is likely the way to go.

This mini looks great, by the way! The back of the cape in particular is striking.