Hercules dropship stats

sparky

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could, and the pods are small enough that the mounting and power would be trivial in a fluff standpoint, but massive bombardment capability doesn't seem to work for the mission profile I'm thinking of. The way I see it, it's mainly just thrusters, hover engines and the bare minimum of wing and other stuff needed to get it to and from orbit safely. Comparatively massive IF bombardment seems to be out of place.

Speaking of which...the tops to GW paintpots make excellent thrusters, if you stick them in the upper rear alcove on the model. They're a bit too wide to fit exactly, but hey, if you're making this at all, you're not going to let something like that stop you.

See, if you guys keep suggesting stuff like Frosch's thrusters, I'm NEVER going to get this thing built. . .

I was considering taking the torso and arms of a Sabertooth and mounting them wholesale as an Anti-aircraft battery on the dorsal surface. . .

Maybe 3 on each side would be okay. It would want enough firepower to clear the LZ of anything dangerous.

I can see it coming in hot laying down a missle barrage to clear the LZ/Keep the enemies head down. Drop in quick unload its cargo, let off another missle barrage and then blast off.

I really need to attempt to build one of these.

I'm trying to keep in mind that this is going to be coming in from Orbit, and anything mounted on the hull needs to look retractable, so as to not burn off in re-entry. That's why I'm using the Regent's IF packs, besides the fact that I have lots of them - they look like they can fold down during re-entry, and not cause too much friction. That's also why I haven't put on any long weapons like Gkw 12's or Maxim Ones, or even those two large Eldar guns I have, even though the ship could handle them in both mounting and power if it were just an atmospheric craft.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want any retractable DFM spots, and where to put them, as well as how I'm going to put on the main anti-ship guns on the nose.

I'm trying to keep in mind that this is going to be coming in from Orbit, and anything mounted on the hull needs to look retractable, so as to not burn off in re-entry.

Keep in mind that re-entry temp shouldn't be too high. It would definetly be more controlled than it is now. Unless they are doing a "hot drop" temp shouldn't be an issue.

but, IMO, I think the retractable weapons would look pretty spiffy.

I agree with the retractable thing, mainly because I like the idea of retractable weapons in general (sorry Mr Boarder guard, but this is a civilian craft, see any weapons?) and also because of the re-entry thing.

While materials will make the temperatures at re-entry largely mute in my opinion, it's still good practice. Afterall, the Herc may be spec'd to withstand entering an atmosphere of a certain density, but in military operations can you really see a general halting a drop because his dropships can't enter the planet's atmosphere and therefore can't deliver his forces.

And besides, military stuff is always overspec'd to try and cope with the random nature of war. Like I saw on a documentary of Huey pilots in Vietnam, if they'd been civilians under civilian law they'd have been fired for exceeding every limit and spec in the book... but in military service at time of war the inverse would be true.

Transports aren't for clearing LZs, they are for hauling cargo ( Units, supplies, etc ).

Clearing LZs is the purpose of gunships ( many of which are underpowered for that duty in CAV ).

What's need is a 'Puff the Magic Dragon" of the CAV universe. Attack fighters come in, suppress AA units, then PUFF comes in, smokes everyone else, then the transports land. The guns on transports are there to provide some support, but the Hercules doesn't have enough to really take on a mess of cav in a hot LZ.

Gawd, I wonder what a CAV universe C-130 spectre would be like... o.O

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/c130.asp