Sign in to follow this  
Anne

Steampunk Dorothy

Hi ::): , I just finished this mini up, she is 32mm, resin and was released at AUSCON I believe. I painted her for the paint contest over at CMON. I didn't think I would finish her in time, but just made the deadline :bday: ! Huzzah! C&C is always appreciated, thanks! And if you feel so inclined, here is the coolmini link: http://www.coolminiornot.com/282065

post-5528-13093985989527_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I was on the fence about getting this mini, it was $25 which is a lot for one miniature, but decided too once the contest was announced because I knew it would sell out. I just hope that when I get around to painting it I'll do half as good as a job as you did.

Reaper needs to make a sprue of guns like that.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! ::): Yes Monkeysloth, the mini was a bit on the high side, I don't know if I would regularly drop 25 a mini, but I liked the figure and was curious to see it in hand. Interestingly, this is the first figure I completed as resin, I found I had difficulty using the brush on primer I usually use, and ended up using Dupli color spray primer (auto primer), and it worked well. Also I learned to be very very careful when handling.

Elouchard, thanks, and no I didn't gloss coat the emeralds, they are plastic beads that I smashed up, and then did some light washes of gw snot green and scorpion green over. Then I ran a brush along the edges of the bead with pure white to define their shape a little more. They started off transparent so I wanted to keep some of that aspect.

I wish my pics were a bit better.. she looks better in person, somehow the pictures always seem to really make everything look chunkified and flat to the background. Ah well, practice practice ::):

If anyone is looking for Dorothy, according to the Guild of Harmony web site, Sebastian will release this figure in white metal shortly. Only 150 resin casts were made. That's very limited. ::):

Honestly, yours is one of the best painted up there thus far, Anne. I hope it places, it deserves to! I entered the contest myself, (the one with the doorman diorama), and I didn't realize it was a fan based vote until after I had finished :lol: . Good luck to you!

Thank you Sgtoku! I love your entry!! The doorman is really cool, a very creative setting you made! Your detailing is excellent too, I think your entry is my favorite and I voted for it ::): , good luck to you too!

Thats a sweet piece, Anne

At first I wasn't sure about her leg, but then noticed she is wearing nylons or stockings & the effect is very nicely done.

Good luck with the contest!

RM

Love it! I wish Reaper had more Steampunk style in it's CS line. and yes, this....

Reaper needs to make a sprue of guns like that.

Hi Anne,

I like how you incorporated green into your color scheme, it's very nice. Also, it's nice to see that that's a pair of feathers on her hat - mine was a completley unrecognizeable blob (to me, anyway) and there's only one blob. Bummer!

Her face is quite lovely.

Thanks everyone! ::): Thanks Jubilee, this mini for me was a crash course in the careful handling of resin haha! The feathers came intact but had to be reattached as they being delicate and me not being careful snapped them off, so they have been reattached here. I have to say I'm impressed with how people approached the gun barrel as well. For mine there was a triangular/trapezoidal piece of I'm guessing sprue in the barrel still, but after the feathers and tubing spots I was really hesitant to mess with it alot, since the area where it narrows seemed very fragile. So I was thinking maybe the emeralds from the emerald city are part of the power source /fuel and tried to make it match the emeralds on the ground. The gun is a very cool design! I'm excited to see what's done with the next characters in this series.

The barrel of my gun was the only spot where I had a bubble - it was rather deep, too! So I had to fill it in with miliput and sand it smooth when it dried. Not fun!

You incorporated the extra bit on the end of the gun well. I wouldn't have guessed it was to cover up a bit of extra casting if you hadn't told me :)