camera question

Kengar

I'm looking for a new digital camera for taking pics of my minis, but I have one oddball feature I want. I'd like a camera with an external microphone jack for video. Does anyone know of any that aren't $$$$?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's this Kodak model >> http://www.amazon.co...C/ref=de_a_smtd that appears to be capable of taking an external or remote mic, but the input is mono, not stereo.

Here's a Canon similar to the one I own with a stereo mic external jack for just a little bit more. >> http://www.amazon.co...Y/ref=de_a_smtd I can vouche for this camera having a fairly good on-board stereo mic and great video. It takes decent stills too. I've not tried an external mic yet, but would like to soon.

As far as dedicated still cameras with video functions and external mics, I've not found one yet that isn't a DSLR, but will keep an eye out.

There's this Kodak model >> http://www.amazon.co...C/ref=de_a_smtd that appears to be capable of taking an external or remote mic, but the input is mono, not stereo.

Here's a Canon similar to the one I own with a stereo mic external jack for just a little bit more. >> http://www.amazon.co...Y/ref=de_a_smtd I can vouche for this camera having a fairly good on-board stereo mic and great video. It takes decent stills too. I've not tried an external mic yet, but would like to soon.

As far as dedicated still cameras with video functions and external mics, I've not found one yet that isn't a DSLR, but will keep an eye out.

How does the Canon do with macro pix (i.e. close-up pictures of minis, etc.)?

Gimme just a sec to set 'er up and I'll post an example.

(a few long seconds later)

Here's a very short video of an extreeeeme closeup of Narg the Orc Captain. This camera has no macro-mode on the menu, but the focus and aperture adjust automatically and pretty quickly in a closeup situation. This video is in full HD, shot in "Shade" mode using my tripod and only the natural daylight coming in through a window.

At most the mini was maybe 6 inches from the lens. At closest it was around half an inch. His axe was almost touching the glass at one point.

http://www.youtube.c...Xp1dGxQzk4&hd=1

In all fairness to the camera, Youtube compresses the file a little, and there will also be a certain amount of jitter due to streaming hiccups. When viewed direct from its source on my computer it plays much more smoothly.

There's a still-shots function that can actually capture a still image while you film, but it's just 640X480

macroorctest.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Gimme just a sec to set 'er up and I'll post an example.

(a few long seconds later)

Here's a very short video of an extreeeeme closeup of Narg the Orc Captain. This camera has no macro-mode on the menu, but the focus and aperture adjust automatically and pretty quickly in a closeup situation. This video is in full HD, shot in "Shade" mode using my tripod and only the natural daylight coming in through a window.

At most the mini was maybe 6 inches from the lens. At closest it was around half an inch. His axe was almost touching the glass at one point.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Awesome! thanks for the samples!

i made a post much the same a few months ago im using a Nikon coolpix L120 honestly i cant remember what it had costed me i think around $300 after using my home made light-box and daylight bulbs this is what i was getting.

DSCN0606copy-1.jpg

and a pic of my set up

DSCN0608copy.jpg

I got the VIXIA HF R10 for my birthday last week! So far I am enjoying it. I've taken a few test photos and they came out OK, but I need to set it up on the tripod properly to really try it out. The video is decent too.

I read some reviews where folks complain of a whirring sound from the onboard mic, but i haven't noticed it yet. The battery could last longer, though.

I saw similar reviews about the noise..but I'm pretty sure it's the AF motor...problem easily solved with an inexpensive remote mic. I'm looking for one myself, not that I've experienced camera-noise, but my tripod squeaks, and I suspect zooming in and out would make a bit of a noise too.

PS does yours come with a remote? I LOVE the remote!