Aviriel Finished. Updated Pics

sgtoku

First and foremost, thank you Pez for the tip and link about NMM, and thank you Darkstar for the detailed post. You'll notice I redid the lighting on the shield as you suggested, as well as the chain mail and more blush on the face. I haven't received my GW Washes, so I have improvised by diluting my paints.

The elephant in the room is the sword I'm thinking. Instead of trying NMM on it, I "attempted" to simulate a gem... Not sure on how it came out. Been looking at it so long I think I lost my perspective on it. Comments would be great. The mini hasn't been sealed yet, so if anyone has some advice, or thinks I should do NMM on it, let your thoughts be known.

Anyhow, this was a fun mini to paint, one that had been sitting on my shelf for far too long (originally I shied away from it because of all the detail) but after the last mini I painted, this is a break :wacko: .

EDIT: Updated Pics. I went over it again and have since varnished it. I'm not sure if there's much of a difference with the sword, as that's what I went over again, mainly, but now that it's been a day, I must say I'm pleased with it!

post-6668-13105795946088_thumb.jpg post-6668-13105796030099_thumb.jpg

post-6668-1310579609885_thumb.jpg

CoolMini Link can be found here: http://www.coolminiornot.com/283003

• Like 2

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you did a fantastic job, especially on the NMM. Darkstar (Sean) has helped me with that in the past, too, and he's really a great teacher.

I think the sword looks pretty good, although it could use a few tiny spots of pure white, and the contrast is better on the front of the sword than the back.

Her hair could be brought up closer to white in the highest highlights as well.

The figure as a whole is very impressive. I think you've done a terrific job!

Higher highs on the hair and hit those two strands in the back (darkest area) with a mid-high highlight. Also to me it looks like her right eye has an alice cooper like makeup scheme...not sure if that's intentional or if that is just the angle of the photo. My two cents. Overall looks very good.

-Z

Beautiful work! I love the gold areas on her armor and shield, and the sword looks good too. For the sword, and its just a suggestion because I think it looks effective as you have it currently, but it may help to give the overall 'read' of crystal by thinking of each plane or facet of the blade as it's own distinct gem area (with darker area on highest area gradient down to a midtone with a small highlight at the apex in the dark area). Of course that can also get overly confusing too (both to paint and to look at). Or I've also ran a brush with some pure white (not alot of water in the body of the brush) along the plane edges in a few spots that would get hit by light. Like I said, she looks great, very impressive figure!

Appreciate the helpful suggestions! The theme seems to be to highlight the hair up a bit (I did, think it made a slight difference, though it's harder to tell with the pictures) and the sword. I worked on the sword a fair bit again, before finally sealing it up and calling it finished. I've gotta say, I was planning to redo the sword and do NMM yesterday, but after hearing the comments, I decided to keep it this way and work on it a bit more. I'm glad I did!

Anne: Just missed your comment before finishing this up. I know you're really good with jewels (since your "Jewel Golem" which looks fantastic.). Thanks for the advice, though as you say, it could get confusing. :upside:

Thank you so much for the comments, calling this one done! Updated pics up top.

Higher highs on the hair and hit those two strands in the back (darkest area) with a mid-high highlight. Also to me it looks like her right eye has an alice cooper like makeup scheme...not sure if that's intentional or if that is just the angle of the photo. My two cents. Overall looks very good.

-Z

I somehow missed your post here. To answer your question, yeah, the eye was done like that intentionally, and yes, now that you mention it it does remind me of Alice Cooper makeup, lol.

To Warlady: Appreciate it!