What is glaze?

Orionjp

Simple question, what exactly is a glaze. The only glaze I think of is from aret class back in highschool which makes the piece actually shiny. I have a feeling this isn't what people are talking about with the NMM painting and saying glaze. NMM is something I'm trying to learn, and quite frankly failing on. So what is a glaze?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heya Orionjp! There are quite a few stickies in the top of this forum that'll cover a lot of the basics. The Glossary Sticky covers several common terms you're bound to run into, and the Tutorial Sticky has tons of links to tutorials (link takes you to a post about glazing). The short short answer is a Glaze is just like a Wash in consistency, but with a mid-range to lighter color instead of a dark, and typically drawn out of low spots before it dries so shadows aren't darkened too much.

In terms of use, I usually apply a glaze if I want to shift the color of an area (say, a glaze of Clear Blue to make the blues more vibrant) or to unify the colors used in an area and smooth out transitions). The point is to apply a thing uniform layer and to avoid pooling in any one area.

Ron

A glaze is simply thin paint intended to cover a surface, rather than pool in the recesses (that would be a wash). It can be any color, but it can help smooth your blends, make colors shift. or accomplish special effects with color. It is a veil over the surface that is transparent enough to show what is underneath. Often used by oil painters.

Hope that helps!